Substandard

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My sub has been giving me great joy and great sadness recently.. It started a while back when it wouldn't really go into standby mode so when I don't play anything, even if I switch off the AVR, it would produce the odd clipping sound. I mitigated that by switching it off manually. But now I have started to realise that it does not remain at the same level from switch-off to switch-on (the next day), which is obviously very frustrating as I have to fine-tune it constantly. I have done that by ear..because I don't want to set up the mic and all that every time..and in the process I have stumbled upon some truly fantastic results, but it comes at a price of constantly tweaking and constantly being exposed to some really bad audio in-between.

As a side note..George Michael's "Father Figure" (The Best Of..) has a pretty reliable bass note, so too most songs from Paul Simon's "Graceland", while the opening two tracks of Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" (in DTS surround) always come in handy. On the other hand John Mayer's "I don't trust myself" (from his "Where The Light is" BD) is depressingly difficult, read impossible, to tune by ear.

Any idea's..re the sub?