Author Topic: Thorens TD150 mk2....advice please  (Read 337 times)

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
Thorens TD150 mk2....advice please
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »
Fellows

Need a big favour please..a critical combination of a few parameters that need to be met for success...I need someone in a sober state, who has a TD150 mk 2, and a digital vernier,  a digital tracking weight/stylus pressure scale, patience, and love of Thorens.

With this combination, I humbly request the person to weigh the little weight on the transparent thread, and measure its dimensions, and the length of the thread end2end from the top of the closed loop to the surface of the weight.

With this data, I plan to make one of these up for a TD150 mk2. Alternatively, if someone happens to have a hamster using one of these weights in its gym room, then with sucessful negotiation (with the hamster)  maybe the TD150 mk2 can get the real thing..

Much appreciated.. :)
Marantz123.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Thorens TD150 mk2....advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
Bit of google says 1.4 g

Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly  a stereotype, though known, to enjoy some mono too.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:05:43 PM »
Adjust string length to suit.  Itís not critical as long as it can move free while the arm moves across the record and always hangs. 

Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly  a stereotype, though known, to enjoy some mono too.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
Adjust string length to suit.  Itís not critical as long as it can move free while the arm moves across the record and always hangs. 

Same goes for the dimensions (within reason) of the weight.  I tried doing some on a lathe, eventually ended up cutting and trimming a piece of brass rod, post #5

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,77583.msg907421/topicseen.html#msg907421

Just confirm the mass of your tt's antiskate weight
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Gentlemen

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. As luck would have it, and the stuff that dreams are made of,...the little weight was found hidden inside the plinth/base.   :clap: I will post some pics soon.  I read that the Mk2 was manufactured with a plastic armboard, but this one seems to be wooden (black painted), and looks original...was the wooden board an option on the Mk2 ? The cart has the number '371' printed on its face, the stylus looks like a bus rolled over it. Now a question, what cart is this, and should I chance going with a new stylus, hoping that the cart internal suspension is fine, or go with something else? Also considering a new belt, current belt has 1cm area of very fine cracks.

Ta
Marantz123.

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Here she is..

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:22:10 PM by marantz123 »

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
After a modest cleanup...

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
Can hardly believe it is the same TT! Clean-up most expertly done.  :thumbs:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 03:06:17 PM »
Thanks FD,

A pic of the pivot....theres some rust on the pillar, and the pivot is slightly wobbly. Should this be stripped and cleaned? The three rubbers/grommet screw fixings supporting the arm to the board are also deteriorating..that I can sort, just concerned about the involvement and risk in stripping this section for cleaning /lubing...some advice would be welcome. (Have successfully stripped, cleaned & re-assembled gunked-up ball bearings in a pivot on a Sony PS1150 once..found that its not the easiest thing to do)

Ta.

Offline JohnnyIC

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 10:55:48 AM »
Very nice turntables which really benefit from a more solid plinth.
I found one in similar condition a while back, at a scrap metal dealer of all places.  :Ooooooh: I had a spare LP12 plinth laying around into which I transplanted mine, fit's perfectly just needed a wider armboard.

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »
186 views..and no advice yet.. :sweat:

Offline vleisman

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
Fellows

Need a big favour please..a critical combination of a few parameters that need to be met for success...I need someone in a sober state, who has a TD150 mk 2, and a digital vernier,  a digital tracking weight/stylus pressure scale, patience, and love of Thorens.

With this combination, I humbly request the person to weigh the little weight on the transparent thread, and measure its dimensions, and the length of the thread end2end from the top of the closed loop to the surface of the weight.

With this data, I plan to make one of these up for a TD150 mk2. Alternatively, if someone happens to have a hamster using one of these weights in its gym room, then with sucessful negotiation (with the hamster)  maybe the TD150 mk2 can get the real thing..

Much appreciated.. :)
Marantz123.

That disqualifies me so can't help I'm afraid  :RTFM:

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
186 views..and no advice yet.. :sweat:

Well, the part in question was found inside the plinth a couple of days ago  :)

As luck would have it, and the stuff that dreams are made of,... the little weight was found hidden inside the plinth/base
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
Gentlemen

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. As luck would have it, and the stuff that dreams are made of,...the little weight was found hidden inside the plinth/base.   :clap: I will post some pics soon.  I read that the Mk2 was manufactured with a plastic armboard, but this one seems to be wooden (black painted), and looks original...was the wooden board an option on the Mk2 ? The cart has the number '371' printed on its face, the stylus looks like a bus rolled over it. Now a question, what cart is this, and should I chance going with a new stylus, hoping that the cart internal suspension is fine, or go with something else? Also considering a new belt, current belt has 1cm area of very fine cracks.

Ta
Marantz123.

I typed too much. My bad. Here I quote myself...the stylus 371 issue and the cart..