Author Topic: Xover point  (Read 659 times)

Offline bbe22

Re: Xover point
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 09:19:41 PM »
see arrows (examples of ) that's how it can be  done,   in theory ,    you don't want to create a tunnel effect and smother the driver

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 09:44:53 PM »
see arrows (examples of ) that's how it can be  done,   in theory ,    you don't want to create a tunnel effect and smother the driver

Thanx Brian. Found this as well, on another forum

Re: Baffle Width

The thicker the better, except for near the vicinity of the back side of the woofer. If your baffle is too thick, it acts like a short tunnel and will color the sound somewhat. A too thick baffle also impedes smooth air flow. So you should open up or chamfer the woofer opening on the inside so the back side of the woofer can breathe.

So would it have to be at an angle, or could it be a kind of a two step thing, going larger

Offline bbe22

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
No fixed recipe this you can wing as you feel fit on the project.  Leave enough material in the area of the fastening points as not to compromise

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
Thanx Brian  :dop: :dop:

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
Fist snag! Need to cut a recess measuring 135mm in diameter, and my damn router is to big :giggle:

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
Fist snag! Need to cut a recess measuring 135mm in diameter, and my damn router is to big :giggle:
Lookup circle cutting jigs on YouTube to give you some how-to ideas. You'll be surprised at how small circles you can cut with ordinary router and a simple jig.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »
Lookup circle cutting jigs on YouTube to give you some how-to ideas. You'll be surprised at how small circles you can cut with ordinary router and a simple jig.

I made one already. Problem is the Bosch base wont allow for that small circles

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
This should give you an idea.
https://youtu.be/PsV-84kjnVY
Of course it can be made simpler but still perfectly accurate and reliable
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »
That is an awesome little jig indeed. Dont have the tools to cut those angles

If there is one thing I would do anything for, is a space to setup a little workshop like this. Working out of the back of a bakkie is a pain in the butt.

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:33 PM »
... Dont have the tools to cut those angles
What angles...??? Use some imagination...
All you need is plank with a slot that is recessed on one side just enough that a head of a let's say 3mm bolt can slide through the slot and under your router base... You can go fancier - put a slightly bigger washer under the bolt's head so that the recessed track is not 5-6mm but 8-10 which will allow for easier slide and better bolt-down though the work piece.

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
I used a piece of perspex that I screwed to the base of the router (removed the routers own bottom plastic piece first). I made marks on the perspex before I fitted it. I can cut holes with diameters of 20mm to 300mm. I put a small nail in the centre of the wood where hole should go and snip off the head. If a hole dimension is not on my perspex, I measure where it should be and drill a 2mm hole for the nail to go through. Works perfectly for me  :2thumbs:

Offline SeanS

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
I used a piece of perspex that I screwed to the base of the router (removed the routers own bottom plastic piece first). I made marks on the perspex before I fitted it. I can cut holes with diameters of 20mm to 300mm. I put a small nail in the centre of the wood where hole should go and snip off the head. If a hole dimension is not on my perspex, I measure where it should be and drill a 2mm hole for the nail to go through. Works perfectly for me  :2thumbs:

Exactly what I do.. just with Aluminium.. does not crack etc.. I have even resorted to drilling holes in my router base, I was lazy  :giggle:

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
I have a circle jig. You can come around over the weekend.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 10:05:37 PM »
I think I sometimes over complicate things. I actually have a piece of perspex, so this weekend Im gonan make that jig. Its all thats holding me back from finishing these little cabs.

Thanx everyone for the replies and offers. I will keep you guys updated.