Xover point

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Gents

before I go any further with this post, incase anybody is going to ask what happened to the 3 way build, its going to happen, after this build  :giggle:

Im wanting to try my hand at doing a crossover for my next two way build. Got the Dayton Audio DS135-8 woofers and a pair of titanium dome tweeters made by Soundlab. Had the tweeters on hand so thought I would use it. The woofer frequency response is 50-7000hz, and the tweeters are 1800-20khz. So upon reading up on all this crossover designing stuff, I came across this post on another forum. Quote taken from there

Without any special considerations.... the normal way is to find the bandwidth of the each driver. This gives an low and high frequency limit for each driver, F(low) and F(high). Multiply FL and FH times each other and take the square root. This provides the center (Fcenter) of the bandwidth for the particular driver. Do this for both drivers. Now take the two values for F(center) and multiply and take the square root. That will be the correct crossover frequency.

Is this a good place to start? I would think that a crossover point of about 2k or 2k5 would be a better option than the calculated 1k88 suggested by the above mentioned quote. Im planning to use a 3rd Order Butterworth design, according to another website I visited, is a good choice for a 2 way build. Brian, Im going to take you up on your offer, should this cause me to much grey hairs. For now, I would really like to attempt a crossover build myself.

Ran the TS parameters through Bassbox Pro, and got a sligtly larger box than recommended by the manufacturer. Currently at 10L, 50mm port, which will be at the rear of the cab, or front, depending on what you guys would think, and a F3 of 47.37

Woofer will be mounted roughly 10mm ahead of the tweeter, if that makes sense at all.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Latest posts