Author Topic: How good is an Audyssey mic for measurements?  (Read 238 times)

Offline Rick

How good is an Audyssey mic for measurements?
« on: April 08, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »
I have been fiddling with REW after some extensive room treatment I just wanted to take some measurements.

Having nothing else at the time I (maybe stupidly) plugged my Audyssey mic into REW. Loopback test signal output to mic input is all good to 20 Khz but with the mic itself plugged in I strongly suspect the response falls off to almost completely dead from about 8khz rendering the room measurement useless. Its down about 40dB, 8-20Khz. The room is floor to ceiling acoustic panels and the speakers B&W N802's.

Does anybody know if these are very basic mics used for Audyssey and is there nothing special about them? or is something else going on?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:31:03 PM by Rick »

Offline KenMasters

Re: How good is an Audyssey mic for measurements?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 05:48:26 AM »
Audyssey mics aren't interchangeable as the AVR they're packaged with is loaded with the offset file for that mic model - so I'd say no, Audyssey mics are not good for measurement. Why not invest in a Umik-1, they're not that pricey and it'd give you peace of mind.

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
Rick, UMIK pops up on the forum regularly. Buy it, use it and and if you have no further need for it, sell it.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Rick

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Thanks all have found a umik-1, will go that route for peace of mind.