Author Topic: Sign of getting crotchety or are remotes too complex  (Read 373 times)

Offline Smoothjazz

Re: Sign of getting crotchety or are remotes too complex
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 08:19:38 PM »
Seems there is a direct correlation between the complexity of the piece of equipment like an avr and its remote. Some years ago I got a harmony universal remote. Got frustrated setting it up and reverted back to the supplied remote. Personally I just get out of the chair, toggle the switches manually. My aversion to the remote has stopped me tinkering so that's a positive for me  ;)

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:40 PM »
I suppose you could leave the manual on the centre table for some light reading!

I've never encountered an AVR manual that wasn't a light read - but it seems to me most people aren't willing to take the 30mins or so it takes to go through one. If a person did, it strikes me that if they encountered an issue it would ring a bell and they would know where the relevant section was. A bit of back and forth in the first week maybe and it could resigned to storage.

I have a single remote, I select an input and set the volume and that's it. Set it up correctly and it needs to be no more complicated than that.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 08:01:34 AM »
My problem is the overall ergonomics. The rows and rows of buttons will place the buttons one use all the time like volume and mute next to the obscure ones that should never be used and easily hit by accident. That's where Yamaha did it right with some models by issuing two remotes, a bigass one with all the buttons and a simple small one with the everyday use ones.
Worst I saw is a Pioneer AVR I bought for my mother. The remote has a second function button, and then some of the common buttons become weird and wonderful other stuff that's not easy to undo. Every time she accidentally presses it (with the heinous 2nd function button right next to the power button), it results in me having to drive over, read the manual again and do whatever is needed to undo it all.