Author Topic: Where do you plug in at home?  (Read 1278 times)

Online chrisflex

Where do you plug in at home?
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
Slowly getting to use some of the many sets headphones I have.

Problem is all of the DACís and amps are far away from a comfortable place to listen.

How does one overcome this?

Long extension cables?
"you're welfare is a hulluva lot more important and the music is, than a dollar." Chip Monck

Woodstock 69

Offline cj

Re: Where do you plug in at home?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
Grado has a very high quality long extension cable, but I found audio nirvana with a dedicated portable system. Nothing beats sitting outside in the breeze watching the ocean with crystal clear audio, that for me is the biggest plus of headphones/ earphones

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
Define "a comfortable place to listen"?
For me it's a very high quality high back office chair.

Headphone listening is generally (but not always) a solitary pursuit.
I listen in my 5 x 5 den, generously granted by SWaMBO.
It has to be desktop for me, which is fine since I need to spend a lot of time in front of my computer.

PS: any comments relating to cable management, or lack thereof, will be in poor taste and thus ignored.  :point:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:58:45 PM by capetownwatches »

Online chrisflex

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
^^^

Nice setup!

My desk chair is not all that comfortable and I get distracted by the PC.

My primary setup would need a 5 meter cable to be able to reach me on the couch in the lounge.

"you're welfare is a hulluva lot more important and the music is, than a dollar." Chip Monck

Woodstock 69

Offline ron g

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »

there's a nice m2 dap in the classifieds. good quality music can come to you.. :angel:   :giggle:
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline naughty

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 10:20:23 PM »
this is why i bought what i consider to be a good portable DAC/AMP - you can disconnect it and take it wherever you like and play off battery power with your phone as a source with relatively topnotch sound quality  or if you want to sit at the desktop you can use the PC as the source and get even better sound quality

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 11:50:25 PM »
^^^

Nice setup!

Thank you!

My primary setup would need a 5 meter cable to be able to reach me on the couch in the lounge.

Not undoable, preferably balanced. Easy enough to make one up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:52:48 PM by capetownwatches »

Online chrisflex

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »
this is why i bought what i consider to be a good portable DAC/AMP - you can disconnect it and take it wherever you like and play off battery power with your phone as a source with relatively topnotch sound quality  or if you want to sit at the desktop you can use the PC as the source and get even better sound quality

Which one did you opt for?

Woodstock 69

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 07:38:43 AM »
Which one did you opt for?

heres my story - no need to repeat any of it just check it at this link

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,78432.0.html

all i am missing now is a great set of headphones

You want portable?

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,78407

this would be topnotch as well but personally i prefer a bit more flexibility in terms of choosing the source as well - so i can use an iphone or android phone or a tablet or a PC depending on where i am or where im going or where i want to sit while im at home

i have around 4TB of music in my PC and i just transfer whatever it is that i want to listen to to my mobile devices and while it isn't as elegant a solution as a DAP it does give you more choice, so for me the fussiness and ungainliness is well worth it, in terms of adaptability and accessibility ie i can access any of my music from any device i want via this method and only need that one DAC/AMP for multiple headphones and sources ..... just need to move it to where i need it to be, but thats just for me YMMV

if you can fit enough music onto the DAP or attach external hard drives via USB and not need the USB port for headphones or external DACs then it may just be a better solution to go with the DAP  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:56:00 AM by naughty »

Online chrisflex

Woodstock 69

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
Mr CT watches, if I may make a teeny suggestion:

Fasten the multiplug to the wall
Tie the excess cables together with reusable cable ties
Use some trunking

Just like I mean to do

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online chrisflex

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »
This is what I used because I use it in my trade

and then this

Woodstock 69

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »
My headphone listening is done in the study away from my main system. I also have a couple of DAPs (including a lovely AR-M2 like the one Ron is selling) for use on the road, in lounge, bedroom, wherever. Long extension cables are inconvenient. And with headphones I find myself making much more frequent volume adjustments, so you want to within arm's reach of a volume knob (remotes are a pain). I would suggest network streamer (e.g. Pi + Allo or similar) and a stand-alone headphone amp for a dedicated listening station right next to your most comfy armchair.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Online Katji

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
@capetownwatches , What is that stand, where did you get it?

PS: The cables...just get some plastic hooks and stick them on the back of the desk, or on the wall; just hang cables over them, so they're not on the floor. Quick'n'easy.