Author Topic: SpeakerWorkshop is back, baby!  (Read 13743 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
SpeakerWorkshop is back, baby!
« on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »
Finally someone has been successful in compiling the freeware code into 64 bit Windows (I have Win7).

Direct link to the install file on github:

https://github.com/RDamman/SpeakerWorkshop/releases/download/v1.1.1.1/SpeakerWorkshop_1_1_1.7z.

This file is compressed in 7zip format, so you may have to install 7zip to uncompress (I used Total Commander). I haven't used it yet, but it seems to start up OK.

Original thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/200092-speaker-workshop-compile-executable-win7-mac.html

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: SpeakerWorkshop is back, baby!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:15:47 AM »
Thank you Shaun.  Btw, WinRAR will extract it

The Hi-Fi Club also has a copy of this as SpeakerWorkshop_1_1_1.zip and it is on the club's Google Drive as   https://drive.google.com/file/d/119cYxPojzXXZNVD3WNOI1bnOiIQRoJ9z/view?usp=sharing
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline naughty

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:10:26 PM »
yep - winrar generally works with 7zip files  :thumbs:

Offline SeanS

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
new ver. doesn't work to well for me.. Copy/Paste doesn't work, and added new components are often unreachable.. kinda off the screen. Also the files don't work on the old ver. once saved (make a backup before you try).. I'm using the old ver. on Windows 10, just copy the ..(x86)\audau directory across and it works (with a registry complaint)

Offline d0dja

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
It would be great to see it back in action, it was a really great bit of software...  :Whoohoo: 

Is there a new team working on it? Seems just on contributor, rdamman. Maybe we should all send encouraging messages and bug reports...

Offline Katji

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
Finally someone has been successful in compiling the freeware code into 64 bit Windows (I have Win7).
I see I have an old version [1.06] that I installed a couple years ago, when I thought I would actually use it.  It gives an error...a warning, on startup, "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT.", but then seems ok.  Windows 8.1 64-bit.  So I don't understand.

WinRAR? Why not just use 7zip? ...It's a vague memory, but I think WinRAR was a trial version, time-limited. Anyway, 7zip handles everything, has never given any problem.  ...It creates .zip, I use it when it's something I think I might want to access from mobile or away from home, just because it's more generic, just in case.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
Windows 8.1 64-bit.  So I don't understand.

Later Windows updates renders it incompatible. I recall when I used to use it, there were also problems starting it up. But after a while it would not run at all.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Michon

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:05:58 PM »
Thank you Shonver and chrisc. Speaker Workshop 1.1.1 is working on my 32bit Windows 7 machine. Now I have to learn how to use it.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
I found some funnies on the new one, which make it unusable for me... e.g. can't copy & paste in XO networks. 1.06 works 100% for me on W10. It doesn't like files made in the old ver.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 06:53:27 PM »
Thank you Shonver and chrisc. Speaker Workshop 1.1.1 is working on my 32bit Windows 7 machine. Now I have to learn how to use it.

You generally need something like the Walling Jig to make it measure.. you can use Holmimpulse for frequency response instead (export FR & Phase, remove text file header & replace ";" with " ")  and measure impedance separately.. This way you can use a USB Mic and bypass the jig. SW does not take phase from a loopback channel so I didn't find on frequency measurement it had any benefit over HOLMimpulse. I have always found SW messes up phase around the high frequencies.. i.e. I always have to model XOs with the speaker polarity reversed vs. what is real (not sure if that makes sense), but you quickly pick this up when measuring so easy to work around.

Off the top of my head to get going..
Create a driver
Add TS parameters (SW can do it, rather find a friend with DATS or use box specs)
Measure impedance and associate measurement with the driver
Measure FR & associate with the driver (on axis, 1M, gated).. generally all drivers from same place to keep phase consistent
For Bass Driver you will need (Port, Nearfield, gated 1M (or chosen distance) and to combine them all to work out Baffle step & proper response
Thats the basics to have some  data to work with... then you can create a network & start modelling XOs