Author Topic: 120 Minutes Open Baffle.  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Steerpike

Re: 120 Minutes Open Baffle.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
Oh Danny boy
The pipes, the pipes are calling...

↑ Michon se gunsteling lied.

Partial view of the setup as it now stands - still a work in progress.

The loudspeakers now have height adjustable feet too.

I've received a lifetime of kak for owning that solid-state Kenwood amplifier (top of pile), and yet...... which amplifier is the one he wants to use????
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:24:49 PM by Steerpike »

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2019, 08:41:31 PM »
Ce n’est pas une pipe!

Looking good.  My open baffles are great when paired with the Laikas (infinite baffle? Basically full range in a box).  Still need to get the Goodman’s Axioms home and see how they are (they are In baffles and sound decent in the office but not properly tested)
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »

... Still need to get the Goodman’s Axioms home and see how they are...
Funny you should mention it. Michon will probably have something to say about them any day now.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Michon

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 10:45:47 PM »
Oh Danny boy
The pipes, the pipes are calling...

↑ Michon se gunsteling lied.

Partial view of the setup as it now stands - still a work in progress.

The loudspeakers now have height adjustable feet too.

I've received a lifetime of kak for owning that solid-state Kenwood amplifier (top of pile), and yet...... which amplifier is the one he wants to use????

Ha! The magnitude of malarkey in this post astounds.
Thank you for the photo.

Compunction about these repurposed cabinets is burgeoning. They provided an easy way to test my Visaton and Philips full range drivers, but I am sufficiently satisfied with the sonic results that I am impelled to build a respectable modular open baffle speaker. I may however only get to that this December.

Funny you should mention it. Michon will probably have something to say about them any day now.

In the meanwhile I also want to listen to a pair of Axiom 201 speakers, as mentioned.

Ce n’est pas une pipe!

Looking good.  My open baffles are great when paired with the Laikas (infinite baffle? Basically full range in a box).  Still need to get the Goodman’s Axioms home and see how they are (they are In baffles and sound decent in the office but not properly tested)

I had a look through my French notes and I didn't find any matching replies so I will post the best that I have: "Nous mangeons une orange".
The works of Voltaire and Say in French are waiting on my shelf. They will have to be patient as L'Étranger is perhaps a more reasonable start.

Tell/show us more about your open baffles and Laikas please. I am unfamiliar with both.
Only recently with the help of fdlsys do I now own a pair of Goodman Axioms too. Thank you for the heads-up post fdlsys.

The sound of the 10" Tannoy drivers crossing to the EV woofers is quite good, except for a high mid peak centered around 3kHz. This is my first time using Tannoy drivers in an active system, and thus not using the stock Tannoy passive crossover. Accordingly I only discovered now that all the classic Tannoy models (perhaps even the newer ones) have a significant resonance in the metal section of the horn around 3kHz. The passive crossover compensates for this by use of a notch filter. Unfortunately my analog active crossover unit isn't able to recreate this notch. Once I have solved this problem they will be more versatile.

This is what the curve of the factory passive filter network looks like.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 11:05:49 PM by Michon »

Offline Katji

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
The Pietenpauw pipes look good.

That one is most similar to the one I got, the Potty Panel. ...The last of the last chunk of old briar wood he got. So, since then, he's been using olivewood and ironwood, what's available here.  Old-school craftsman, known for precise drilling, getting the hole into the bowl just right.

> Jan van Hunks en die duiwel stook hul pype.

Pietenpauw is named after some guy like that who sat on Tafelberg.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:09:18 PM by Katji »

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
Im loving this thread. Nice stuff Michon - love people with a sense of humour and experimenters! More power to you.
Would love to hear the B200 again. I had one but didnt like the way it sounded. Blizzard was convinced mine was a knockoff or something (dont mean to misquote) but mine never sounded good to me at all.
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »
Only just got back to this thread.  The Laikas are the ‘Crazy Frog Martion bullfrog’ rip offs that I made over a thread here.  The OBs (Madcap Dominoes) are effectively two old lab shelves with Phillips full range 6” drivers in (I did them as a quick and dirty thread too).  The Goodmans are mounted into larger old lab shelves with sandwich board style stands and have been sitting in my office unused since I moved offices so I really need to take them home.  I haven’t decided on a name for them yet!

Crazy Frog Build thread (pictures seem to have expired)
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,65707.0.html

Madcap build thread
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,68239.0.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:23:57 PM by JonnyP »
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Michon

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 11:22:21 PM »
Pietenpauw is named after some guy like that who sat on Tafelberg.

I wasn't aware. I'll have to read up about him.

Im loving this thread. Nice stuff Michon - love people with a sense of humour and experimenters! More power to you.
Would love to hear the B200 again. I had one but didnt like the way it sounded. Blizzard was convinced mine was a knockoff or something (dont mean to misquote) but mine never sounded good to me at all.

Thank you Kemosabe. I remember a time when we could read gold in the form of one liners posted by you on a near daily basis. I miss those.

Knockoff B200 drivers - I wouldn't mind a pair of those.
The B200 do have a rising response. I remember a correction filter posted for them earlier in this thread. The one problem that I keep running into with the whizzer cone full range drivers (like Philips) is high mid resonance. The B200 should be without that. Perhaps after the correction is applied you may enjoy them more. I would have done this, but I sold my B200 drivers. The new owner built a pair of rear loaded horns for them and subsequently had the drivers stolen from his car.

The biggest problem with the experimental baffles currently is that they have significant panel resonances. The time required to reduce the resonances on these ugly enclosures would be wiser spent on a speaker more worthy than one constituted of thin repurposed office cupboards. Therefore I am looking into welding a large metal frame from which I can proceed to experiment with various detachable baffles and drivers. Once that has been done I will move onto the larger drivers like the 12" Philips AD12202 and the 15" Tannoy K3838 drivers. I am also on the lookout for a pair (or two pairs) of 18" woofers that I will use with the system.

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 12:39:55 AM »
Hmmm Apples with Apples.

There is no way Visaton B200's can stand up to Michon's big woofer appetite  :point:

But read between the lines and they are amazing speakers for their 8" diameter  ;)

Offline Michon

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »
Frabjous day friends and foes, callooh callay.

In my last update I put it to you that I was "looking into welding a large metal frame" which would form the basis of the speaker system in the next stage of its evolution. Aside from observing that the phrase "looking into" is pedestrian language that smacks of hooliganism, I discovered a number of days ago a pile of wooden beams, that I didn't know I had, under a pile of wood that I did know I had, in one of the storerooms. Steerpike hastily reminded me that I could finally consider the beams as he had removed the mote from his own eye earlier that very day.

Accordingly I decided (without any of his assistance of course) that instead of welding a metal frame I would rather use all the wooden beams that I already own to build a speaker. I will post a photo of the wooden beams tomorrow.

We machinated on a design that we could execute with the wood and went out to buy the fasteners necessary to turn this pipe dream into a reality. These can be seen below on the table in front of the Wawiel Oudio absolute reference system.
 It may not look like much, and that is because it isn’t, but me no buts Muster Mark! Sure it has got much of a bark.

The Wawiel Oudio Werkswinkel art department, where engineering concepts are translated into creativity manifest, worked overtime [that is beyond the prick of noon, to be exact (do not forsake me)] to produce the technical drawings of the prospective monitoring system.

I present to you: One design to rule them all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:19:16 PM by Michon »

Offline vleisman

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 10:29:52 PM »

I had a look through my French notes and I didn't find any matching replies so I will post the best that I have: "Nous mangeons une orange".

I prefer : Le singe mange une orange

Offline Michon

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »
The following beams were underneath piles of other wood, which is why I didn't know that I have them. I am not sure how long it has been there or who put it there, but soon it will be gone.

It may not look like much, and again that is because it isn't, but we'll see what can be done.

In other news:

Four secret* 18" woofers from an undisclosed** source arrived today.

Seen here next to a Tannoy Little Gold loudspeaker which has a 12" dual concentric driver.

* Provided you consider Hybrid 18H400 secret.
** Provided you consider A&R Agencies in Fordsburg undisclosed.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 06:56:01 PM »
18 inchers...jeepers.
Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, Eddie Current Black Widow II, HD600

Offline Michon

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »
18 inchers...jeepers.

Yes, I have half a mind to cross them to a 1" dome tweeter just to stir the potjiepot, but I'll wait for the 21" woofers and the 3/4" tweeters to arrive before I do that. Who cares about power response anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:11:11 PM by Michon »

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »

Where did the Geisha suddenly go ???? Left her tea and all.