My First TT - Rega RP3

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vee

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys - finally got myself a TT (bought off this forum) and would like to ask a few noob questions. Its one of the older RP3's (serial number 161294) with an RB200 tonearm and currently has an AT 410E cartridge

First off I have to say that the sound is great - better than I was expecting actually...and this is with the current cartridge and tonearm. I do have to turn the volume up a fair bit for it to be really appreciated though. The highs and mids sound awesome but I could do with a bit more bass punch...

Back to my questions:
1. Sometimes the right channel/speaker does not work. I have to wiggle the wires coming out from underneath the TT and it gets sorted - I need this fixed or upgraded - who can assist me with this?
2. When the motor starts spinning the LP it takes a fair amount of time to get up to speed...Ive dropped the needle and heard weird  :cr@p: till the speed picked up. Is this normal or is the motor poked and need to be replaced.
3. How do you clean your LP's - all my vinyl has been given to me by a family member and its been in storage for a while so very dusty and crackly
4. Does the TT have to be earthed using the earth wire? I have a set of B&W 603 S3's and Ive never seen the speaker drivers move as much as they do when playing the TT - is this normal and will using the earth wire solve it?

Based on my enjoyment of the sound Im keen to get this TT sounding as good as possible with my current setup - happy to do upgrades over time even if they cost more that what I paid for the TT

Thanks in advance for the replies