car battery problems

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
i bought a z3 about a year ago.
straight after buying it it stood for around 5 - 6 months as i couldn't use it due to a neck issue.
i left the battery connected during this period. of course it went flat, and really did not want to come back to life. the smart charger showed an error in the battery & wouldn't charge, but after connecting it with jumper cables, the charger was able to charge it to the point were it started & ran.

since then i have used the car intermittently due to battery drain problems, which have just been getting worse & worse.

today i replaced the battery, then did a few tests:
- with the engine running i was getting 14.6v across the battery terminals - so i think the alternator is probably fine
- with the earth terminal disconnected, i measured 0.1 amp drain from the battery terminal to the earth connection, so i assume that there is no significant drain.

would i then probably be correct in thinking that the old battery was the problem, or is there something else i should be checking?

Latest posts