Calling all Super Craftsmen

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankshaft

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
"When you want the job done right, do it yourself"

Except it's not always possible, especially when one doesn?t have the required tools.

Anyway, about a year ago I had a REL Stadium sub shipped to my address in Cape Town - to my horror, the carton had been dropped, and the edges and corner of the cabinet were crushed!!  This after repeatedly asking the sender to double box, etc.

My suggested solution was to cut out the 12 edges of the cabinet with a nice accurate table-saw, and then to set solid strips of timber into the grooves and carefully trim flush with the existing veneer panels using a router.

I found a company that manufactured furniture, and was confident that they could do the job as described.

Some weeks later I got the call that it was ready to collect  :).  The first f-up was that they had just stuck new veneer over the entire cabinet :(, not even similar to the original, and when I got the box home, I noticed the grain of the veneer was incorrectly orientated  :mad:.

Needless to say, I called and complained.  They offered to ?fix? it when they had time  - maybe in a few months time!!  Well that time has come, but I don?t think I?ll be going back, as I?m concerned this will be treated as a inconvenience and will most likely end up even worse.

So, are there any super craftsmen out there that would like to have a go at making my REL look swell again?

Latest posts