Author Topic: The Headphone Addiction - Why does it happen?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline ron g

Re: The Headphone Addiction - Why does it happen?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »

in my case my headphone addiction i think can be attributed to 2 main causes - my severely short attention span & the type of music i listen to.

i also loved the concept of portable audio which just made so much sense to me, and was hooked after i bought my first ipod (20gb 4th gen)

some of the members of this forum (including subadude), yisroel from cplan have led me on to the point where i have a great portable set up (hifiman r2r2000 & campfire andromeda), as well as a decent desktop setup (udsd-g100 final edition-he560).

i listen to a lot of singer songwriter  / folk / americana type music, & the experience of having the musicians sitting inside my head makes the music intimate & personal in a way that keeps my attention (to the point that even just walking while listening becomes very difficult), & which no speaker setup that i have heard can duplicate.

& i can take it anywhere with me.

speakers & headphones are 2 different, complementary experiences in listening to music, & i love both. but if i had to choose, the headphones would win out.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:03:07 PM by Rotten Johnny »
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Online dingeth

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 03:58:02 PM »
Mods, please file under "famous last words"...

Lol
Audio Noob

Offline gLer

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 05:16:17 PM »
You're very funny @dingeth...

In Pursuit of Head-Fi Perfection
Views and reviews at www.theheadonist.com
Follow me on facebook.com/liketheheadonist

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Michon, here's a possible answer

Sennheiser HD800 and Pathos Aurium Headphone Amp ( pity you are in Jhb, I would have loaned you mine ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp5Qd_n7sQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJdAmcgf0aU

Michon, here's another opinion on HD 800's comparing the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies to the Pathos Aurium, either could possibly give you what you are looking for?

https://audiobacon.net/2016/03/26/headphone-amp-battle-pathos-aurium-vs-woo-audio-wa7/
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Online dingeth

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »
You're very funny @dingeth...

Haha as long as I don't look up I miiiight be able to convince myself I've reached the summit. right? right???...
Audio Noob

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
I haven't decided yet, still waiting to take delivery of my Audeze LCD-2F's at the end of this month to first week April, then the good doctor can give me his prognosis whether I am an addict or not.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
... I also find I tend to get tinnitus when using cans daily for a week or so.  Two culprits I suspect: probably listen too loud (though I'm not convinced); too many extended listening sessions that run to after 1AM.  I know that when I'm sleep deprived I get tinnitus, every time....
Carp. Exactly the same.
But what other options do I have to watch a movie or two (the lifetime of a laptop battery) every second evening in this 106th happiest country in the world...  :cleansound:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 04:12:06 PM »
Most examples here are not headphone specific but I think the gist of his argument bears relevance to this topic :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-3035#post-14875708