Author Topic: The Headphone Addiction - Why does it happen?  (Read 986 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
The Headphone Addiction - Why does it happen?
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
I am a full-blown headphone addict.  I have two speaker-based systems of reasonable quality as well but by far the time, effort and enjoyment is associated with my collection of cans and associated paraphernalia. 

Thing is I am not alone ... I can think of at least another ten or so guys (no girls unfortunately), many most of them members here, who own five or more headphones and multiple headphone amps. And it is not a local phenomenon either ... just look at the www.head-fi.org forum statistics:

Clearly headphone addiction is a certifiable condition but at least there is safety in number.  But why does it happen?  What is fueling the headphone hobby fire?
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Bravick

Re: The Headphone Addiction - Why does it happen?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
This post is just so that Francois does not block me on Whatsapp! ;D
I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:34:43 AM »
Leading causes are BHS and ORIS ... Battered Husband and/or One Room Immigrant syndrome.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
Stop stalking me please... :nono:
And as I always maintain, there are far worse addictions than headophilia!

I got into the hobby because it was a cost-effective and convenient way to get world class sound quality.
Based around my PC and using files instead of vinyl suited me as I spend a lot of time on the computer.

For a fraction of the pain (read cost) of a speaker based system (no space issues, no room treatment etc) I got that world class sound.
And I can tweak it to my heart's content without mortgaging my kids.
The online community is also a factor - it's fun to interact with like minded souls in the strangest places (like Centurion...) :point:

Solo Ultra Linear=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=BM DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990 600=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50=Ayra 5=Cables Various

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »

I expect a proper post in due course Gideon!

Solo Ultra Linear=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=BM DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990 600=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50=Ayra 5=Cables Various

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Not sure head-fi is that different from hi-fi iro collecting kit.  Things that make it easier:

- space: to store all the kit - easier to have a few HPA's and cans set up than multiple hi-fi / speakers
- cost: great sound comes at a much lower price point with head-fi than hi-fi

Offline Bravick

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
Personally, I feel that it's much better value for money. A higher quality of reproduction can be achieved for your money.

It's also more convenient, in the sense that I can enjoy my music in the bedroom late at night, without disturbing SWMBO.

The background noise of the environment is also less of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
Leading causes are BHS and ORIS ... Battered Husband and/or One Room Immigrant syndrome.

Not true ... you got into cans before crossing the ocean.  Even attended a head-fi meeting.  Oh, then it must be BHS in your case :ROFLMAO:
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Online Michon

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »

2nd.

Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in. Really I was just curious.

I entered with HD600 and LD MKIII. I would be happy to own that combo again. I’m currently on HD800 and looking for the right amplification - something warm.

Speakers are my primary components though. Headphones are an extra for me.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 09:47:58 AM »
Not true ... you got into cans before crossing the ocean.  Even attended a head-fi meeting.  Oh, then it must be BHS in your case :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps both :be:

...but if one looks at the timing of my getting into cans you'll see it coincides with the knowledge that ORIS lay ahead.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
One more uniquely South African explanation to provide as you enter the house with yet more gear: longer listening sessions from the inverter / generator than with hi-fi so there's no need for the kids to study using candles for light.

Offline AdrianDeLau

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »
So I have a decent hifi system at home, not top class but it can play vinyl, stream ect.

My biggest issue is I live in a security complex and my neighbors do not share my excellent taste in music thus enter my first headphone the beyerdynamic dt 880 pro.

Its been downhill ever since.

The cost of head-fi versus hifi makes it a no-brainer. Although costs as with hifi is exponential the higher the diminishing quality return is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bravick

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
2nd.

Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in. Really I was just curious.

I entered with HD600 and LD MKIII. I would be happy to own that combo again. Iím currently on HD800 and looking for the right amplification - something warm.

Speakers are my primary components though. Headphones are an extra for me.
You should have never sold the Lyr to me!

Online Michon

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »
You should have never sold the Lyr to me!

I forgot about the Lyr, but now that I think of it I did enjoy it more than the transistor only amplifiers that I have tried with the HD800. Now my anal retentiveness is kicking in. Even the Pmillet I enjoyed.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline Bravick

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
So..... Hopefully Francois and Arie will stop nagging after this.....

I have always owned headphones of some sort or other, but never looked at them as a serious alternative to my hifi system. To be fair, it was never comparing apples with apples. Sennheiser HD205's and Grado SR60i's are not in the same league as Spendor ST Carbons.

This changed when a non working pair of Sennheiser HD540 Ref II (Circa 1990) headphones fell in my lap. I have been interested in better headphones for a while, but these are the one's that landed me in this bottomless pit.

I rebuild them and did a few mods. They have now been tuned to my liking. I soon realised their potential and started looking into better amplification. I bought the JLH Kit (now extensively modified), Millet Minimax and was gifted a not working Maverick Audio D1 Plus(Now also extensively modified). More headphones followed and will still folo

Next up was the Schiit Lyr. What an amp! Using the tube output on the Maverick to feed the Lyr/HD540 combo, has been a revelation. I have not used my hifi for more than an hour since.

Granted, I have owned hifi's than sounded better. At almost R250k (previous setup), it should..... But I have never owned anything that comes close in the value for money department, as my headphone system provides.

I have so much enjoyment using my hp system in the comfort of my bedroom, that I simply do not miss using the main hifi. Yes, they each have their place, but for now I will see where this rabbit hole leads me.

New rabbit holes are in the source department. I have the full range of Allo products on loan at the moment. Very impressed. More feedback to follow on this at another time.

Greetings from the Green Kalahari