Author Topic: How many of you are buying an inverter system or a generator?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Smoothjazz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Re: How many of you are buying an inverter system or a generator?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
I already have a pure sine wave inverter from Mecer with 1 deep cycle battery. Enough power for all my LED home lights and keep WIFI modem powered up for the 2 hour duration.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »
What size battery do you have?
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+58)
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
Can't get an inverter nor battery - they all seem to be sold out.
Any suggestions?
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
You could get a UPS and a larger battery.  Spectrum Communications in Montague Gardens have batteries

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
From practical tests I've done, my inverters cuts out at about 50% of the capacity of my batteries. For example if I have a 63 amp  battery, the inverter shuts off after I've used about 30 amps of it.
That is why I figured 2X 102 amp batteries @ 50% is 102A. Which is easily more than 75Amps needed over 3 hours. It does not make sense to me that 6 batteries could not pass 50 minutes. I am not saying it did not happen :D Just that it should not really happen.

You cannot run down lead-acid, whether flooded or gel, to 50% depth of discharge. Run a 12 volt battery a few times under 11 volts, and the recovery is compromised. I have had customers who did this and now they find when they have no AC power after dark, their inverters or UPS batteries let them down. Instead of getting a couple of hours, they get 20 mins or less

On the other hand, if a flooded or gel battery is properly managed, it will give 6 to 10 years of life. I've seen the brand "Power Sonic", made in the USA, last for 15 years

If you want a fit and forget battery, it is a lithium-ion

Expensive to begin with, and it needs a well set up battery management system, but a) it will last, b) supplies all the power you need and c) is a fraction of the size and weight of a lead-acid battery

If lithium ion is good enough for Tesla and most other electric cars, its good enough for me