Reliable UPS brands for my desktop?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVSA Andrew

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't want this to possibly get lost in one of the Eskom load shedding threads...

I need to get a UPS for my desktop set-up before the incessant power failures toast my desktop. From what I have seen so far I doubt I am going to need more than a 1000VA UPS. I've been browsing a few of the online places and have found a few that are in my price range, but when I read up on the reviews by those who had bought them, two aspects left me worried about my potential purchases.

The first was that some of the reviews dated back as far as 2015 and there is no indication on the sites that this is a 'new' version of the unit. Surely there have been advances in technology in 4-odd years, so how am I going to be able to make sure I'm not buying old stock from the last round of load shedding problems?

Second concern, and it ties in with the first, is that on the specs of most of the units I've looked at mention the operating systems their software works on, and it seems to stop at Windows 2000/XP/ etc., which is again in my mind an indication that these are out of date units.

Do any of you have advice wrt making a safe purchase? Also, brands you would recommend? APC seems to come fairly highly recommended.

Latest posts