Live Albums. A Baker's Dozen

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
There is just something about a live album on a physically big system. Be it the energy of the crowd, the occasional buzz from an open feed or the rawness of the performance.I am not sure if this topic has come up before but this is a bakers dozen of my favourites. Yours?

13. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live 1975-85

Wow . What a cheat. This is a box,big ?un too!

12. Joy Division. Preston 28 February 1980

Loud,messy and like always sounds like it was recorded through a dirty toilet bowl BUT..

11.Creedence Clearwater Revival Live at the Royal Albert Hall

?We?d like to play a traditional song, (I) wrote it about a week ago? So it wasn?t really the Albert Hall or even England but so what.

10. The Who . Live at Leeds.

Too much has been written about this. Just listen to the bloody thing. It's The Who,it's Leeds,it?s live,it?s loud.

9 Frank Sinatra. Live at THE SANDS.

Sinatra in fine form at his spiritual home,backed by the Count Basie Big Band.The banter is dated,so is the decor,the dripping jewels and glasses of amber. Life as it was for the filthy rich.

8.Jackson Brown. Running on Empty.

More of a document of life on the road than a live album per se,One song recorded on a Greyhound bus,a cardboard box as bass drum over the roar of the bus engine, songs in dark hotel rooms and on the brightest stages. Painfully honest and naked.

7.Simon and Garfunkel. ?Concert in the Park.

Reunion in front of a home crowd of half a million people in Central Park. Ironically the highlight of the night  is the only non Paul Simon song in the show. Arty solo on a Gallager and Lyle stunner:

New York, to that tall skyline I come, flyin' in from London to your door
New York, lookin' down on Central Park
Where they say you should not wander after dark
New York, like a scene from all those movies

6. U2 Under a blood red sky.

Bono before he drowned in his own pomposity and the rest of the band in their money.  Huge energy.?This is not a rebel song,this is Sunday Bloody Sunday?-Ja right.Listen to the vinyl,the remaster on Tidal is an abomination.

5.Simple Minds. Live in the City of Lights.

Wow, soaring 80s synth anthems filling the room with one of the biggest sounds ever. Sheer magic.

4.Dead can Dance. Toward  the within.

Every inch as good as any of the studio albums with sonics to die for. A mesmerizing sonic tour de force

3.Bill Evans. Saturday at the Village Vanguard/ Waltz for Debby.

The Bill Evans trio on a Saturday afternoon 57 years ago. The trio that redefined how jazz should be played in a sonically intimate setting. Recorded on an Ampex 350 this is what Jazz should sound like. If you think ?Jazz at the Prawnshop? is wonderful, this is another class. Available on stunning  high speed reel to reel from THE Tape Project . 

2. Neil Young. Live at Massey Hall

Old Neil  at the ripe old age of 24 has already been with Buffalo Springfield,walked out on Crosby,Stills and Nash ,recorded ?After the Goldrush? and now tries some songs solo in front of an ecstatic Canadian audience. Many of the songs appeared later on a little album called ?Harvest? but hear them in the raw here.

1.Little Feat. Waiting for Columbus

?Roll the Tape? and boom,onto stage runs the band who made everybody but everybody else sound like talent evening in Beaufort West.

0. Allman Brothers Band. Live at Filmore East.

You thought I was going to put a number on this? No man this is beyond ranking