Author Topic: Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations  (Read 1415 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+128)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:11 PM »
A gel lead-acid battery (as opposed to flooded) will provide longer life and can be discharged to a greater level.  Cost is obviously higher

At the top end, a lithium ion battery provides long life, many more discharge cycles and are considerably smaller (less than half) than lead-acid.  A high price makes the initial investment costly,  but makes economic sense overall
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »

At the top end, a lithium ion battery provides long life, many more discharge cycles and are considerably smaller (less than half) than lead-acid.  A high price makes the initial investment costly,  but makes economic sense overall
:thumbs:

As an example:
Leoch 4.8kwh 48v Li battery has been advertised on powerforum.co.za for 16k
That's a capacity equivalent of 4x typical 12v 100ah wet cell batteries which will cost you from 8k for ordinary, up to more than 16k for top quality gel / crystal deep cycle.

However, even the best deep cycle will give you no more than 40-50% of its capacity before they start degrading, permanently.

Li on the other hand will typically give you 3600 cycles (every day for 10 YEARS!) of 100% discharge, or 5000 cycles at 90%, 6500-7000 at 80-75%, etc.

IMO, It makes no sense buying anything but Li.

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
It just means putting off that audio upgrade you had been contemplating

I've bought mine from Blue Nova in Somerset West

It has a built in load balancing circuit.  If you use more than one battery, you connect them with a LAN cable and the circuit configures the load.    You need to adjust the charger for maximum voltage and cut-off at the low voltage point.  This is well explained in the supplied manual, which you can also download

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:25:58 AM by chrisc »

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »
Battery update:

I've ordered 4 100AH lead carbon batteries.  Cost about 50% more than regular AGM, but are better at deep discharge cycles and charging from a partial state of discharge.

They are the Ritar DC12-100C.

Sorry for being so silent this side guys. Busy busy this side.

@Crankshaft Just get one of this toys to add to your batteries to help prolong the life on the batteries. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/battery-equalizer-battery-balancer-for-4pcs-12V-battery-connected-in-series-for-48V-battery-system-solar/32832757222.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57d04c4duiL1qr

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. You can check on the powerfotum all the benefits of this small unit.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
It just means putting off that audio upgrade you had been contemplating

I've bought mine from Blue Nova in Somerset West

It has a built in load balancing circuit.  If you use more than one battery, you connect them with a LAN cable and the circuit configures the load.    You need to adjust the charger for maximum voltage and cut-off at the low voltage point.  This is well explained in the supplied manual, which you can also download

hahaha!! Jip, same this side Chris, all audio upgrades on a hold this side. Spend some money on my solar setup this side to. Waiting for some stuff to arrive and after a battery monitor to for my setup.

One thing that i have spotted and overseas to, is that the guys like to use the Victron BMV units to get power use of your batteries spot on, specially if you using voltronix "axpert" inverter with Li and AGM batteries because the info the inverter see isn't prissily, where BMV can help you to get rite info to adjust the inverter to the right cut-off.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:25:37 PM by Gerlach »

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
OOOoooo yes, Stage 1 warning just out to so get your systems up and running  :rubhands:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
City Council require ALL PV installations, whether Grid Tied (feeds electricity back) or not, to be registered

Paid a PV installer to come and inspect and submit a drawing along with the registration.  The inverter on the drawing is labelled as an ATS inverter.  This means it switches automatically between the incoming mains and inverter supplied current, when power from the PV panels is available or not

Fellow at Council tells me that "ATS" is not a recognised brand.  I tell him it is a Mecer inverter and had provided the model number.   He has no idea what an automatic switching inverter is

The PV installer who came said that Council insist he put a manual changeover switch in addition to the inverter.  When asked why, they say that is the way they want it done

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
City Council require ALL PV installations, whether Grid Tied (feeds electricity back) or not, to be registered

Paid a PV installer to come and inspect and submit a drawing along with the registration.  The inverter on the drawing is labelled as an ATS inverter.  This means it switches automatically between the incoming mains and inverter supplied current, when power from the PV panels is available or not

Fellow at Council tells me that "ATS" is not a recognised brand.  I tell him it is a Mecer inverter and had provided the model number.   He has no idea what an automatic switching inverter is

The PV installer who came said that Council insist he put a manual changeover switch in addition to the inverter.  When asked why, they say that is the way they want it done

Jip!!! all the fire hoops we need to jump into to get our stuff up and running with Council, best part, the Council self even don't know where there head and where there ass is " i  think there head is is in there ass ". If you looking for Interlock changeover switch, go pop in by Rubicon. They way cheaper then the other places.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:55:33 PM by Gerlach »

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »
This is the approved one that I got from Rubicon.

But @chrisc I think I founded a other way to bull :cr@p: them, by getting EN standard contactors. Check this video and you will see what i mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3enEGXv_TTk&t=586s

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »
Council recognise installers who belong to Greencard.  I had earlier contacted the ECSA but was told that Council do not recognise their submissions and I would be wasting money involving one of their contractors

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »
What they are actually doing is, is trying to make it super unbelievable difficult for us with a lot of red tape added to it, because like me and you Chris, if we go of the grid, it's R1000 they are loosing extra every month from us.

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
... if we go of the grid ...
As a matter of personal interest,

You guys that have or are planning to go fully off-grid (as in physically disconnect from the grid) what are your plans for the overcast days?
We had 3 days in a row in Gauteng with only a few hours of Sun barely just lurking through the clouds which I suspect would be no more than 1/10 of the expected power generation for the day.

I am seriously considering the scope of full day-time power generation installation of panels and purchase of battery capacity sufficient for night-time use but I just do not see it feasible to purchase the battery capacity that will last us 3-4 days, while the Sun is scarce.

Of course, if this #$%^#$%^ government and it's #$%^#$%^& pick-pocketing division known as Eskom would finally adopt what the whole world has welcomed with open arms - small independent power generation and back-feed to the grid - it would be dead easy and at perfectly acceptable cost to create long term sustainable and highly financially efficient independent solutions.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
As a matter of personal interest,

You guys that have or are planning to go fully off-grid (as in physically disconnect from the grid) what are your plans for the overcast days?
We had 3 days in a row in Gauteng with only a few hours of Sun barely just lurking through the clouds which I suspect would be no more than 1/10 of the expected power generation for the day.

I am seriously considering the scope of full day-time power generation installation of panels and purchase of battery capacity sufficient for night-time use but I just do not see it feasible to purchase the battery capacity that will last us 3-4 days, while the Sun is scarce.

Of course, if this #$%^#$%^ government and it's #$%^#$%^& pick-pocketing division known as Eskom would finally adopt what the whole world has welcomed with open arms - small independent power generation and back-feed to the grid - it would be dead easy and at perfectly acceptable cost to create long term sustainable and highly financially efficient independent solutions.

It is certainly not feasible to install battery capacity to last you a few days because of a lack of sun. The cost to mitigate such an event would be huge and wasteful seeing as we have an abundance of sunlight under normal circumstances. There are perhaps a few things we could do:
  • Oversize your PV array so as to harvest more when times are lean. This will help but would not make up the other 9/10.
  • Invest in a decent diesel generator. Burning sufficient amounts of diesel when in trouble is an old Eskom trick and is certain to get you through tougher times.
  • Change our habits and appliances. We should be doing this now in any case. We have become complacent and wasteful.
  • Do not go completely off-grid just yet. Use something like Victron's ESS system to supplement the grid input. Eskom is still cheap when we consider the alternatives, albeit unreliable.
Midrand