Author Topic: Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations  (Read 9865 times)

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
Re: Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
https://www.firstshop.co.za/mecer-ups-IVR-1200LBKS-p-41969

This plus a battery or two would be fine for a PC setup right?
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Resident Troll - You gotta pay the troll toll
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »
I had a look at inverter generators, apparently they are much quieter than the normal kind. Seeing as the cost for a good inverter/charger/battery was just over 10k, maybe a gennie might be a better option.

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking of chatting to my neighbours and seeing if they're willing to go 50/50 on purchase and running cost.

I own and run a Honda eu3000is. Yes, it is silent enough to run in a townhouse complex. It has an eco switch, which allows the inverter to control the throttle, so the motor runs and consumes fuel in relation to demand.
It’ll run for 20 hours on 13lt of fuel, running my lights, fridge, freezer, tv, and the kettle and microwave, intermittently. All at pure sine 220volt. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

I rent, so I haven’t connected it to the db. I run 2.5 cabtyre all over the house, from the gennie.

But seriously, if you want to share with your neighbors, you’ll want to look at the eu6500is or the newer 7000. The eu3000 has 2800 watt capacity. If you connect two kettles, it’ll stall. You really have to have a decent relationship with your neighbors if it’s going to work.

Another great feature of the Honda inverter gennies is that you can daisy chain them. They have high level outputs that take a special cable, so you can connect them in parallel.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:32:05 AM by Tzs503gp »

Offline fuz940510

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
I own and run a Honda eu3000is. Yes, it is silent enough to run in a townhouse complex. It has an eco switch, which allows the inverter to control the throttle, so the motor runs and consumes fuel in relation to demand.
It’ll run for 20 hours on 13lt of fuel, running my lights, fridge, freezer, tv, and the kettle and microwave, intermittently. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

I rent, so I haven’t connected it to the db. I run 2.5 cabtyre all over the house, from the gennie.

But seriously, if you want to share with your neighbors, you’ll want to look at the eu6500is or the newer 7000. The eu3000 has 2800 watt short term capacity. If you connect two kettles, it’ll stall. You really have to have a decent relationship with your neighbors if it’s going to work.

Another great feature of the Honda inverter gennies is that you can daisy chain them. They have high level outputs that take a special cable, so you can connect them in parallel.
I was thinking of enough juice for 2 tvs, 2 fridges, couple of laptops and some lights. Not really gunning for complete power coverage. Cooking can be done on gas quite easily.

Where did you get it?
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
You can go for the eu1000 or 2000. Both can again be daisy chained if you need more power in future.

I bought it at a Honda Power dealer, a couple years back, 2015/2016. The eu1000/2000 are fairly available, usually. I think you might have trouble finding one now. The eu3000 and 7000 are scarce, usually, so I doubt you’ll find one now.

Kipor and Yamaha make similar inverter gennies.

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
https://www.firstshop.co.za/mecer-ups-IVR-1200LBKS-p-41969

This plus a battery or two would be fine for a PC setup right?

To think, Ellies was selling this stuff in Dec for like super cheap!!!! the 1200 one's where going for like R500 and the 2000 where going for R800. I wanted to take 2 of them but spotted that the where modified sine wave.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
@BWS  @Rotten Johnny @Family_Dog Mods, what is the possibility that we can open a new section under the CHAT posts where we can all post stuff about Eskom and Power and Inverters and all the stuff that go's with it. We can maybe call it The Power Department or something like this.

Then we can move all the posts that is up and running to to this and people can post there new stuff there to.

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
@BWS  @Rotten Johnny @Family_Dog Mods, what is the possibility that we can open a new section under the CHAT posts where we can all post stuff about Eskom and Power and Inverters and all the stuff that go's with it. We can maybe call it The Power Department or something like this.

Then we can move all the posts that is up and running to to this and people can post there new stuff there to.

I think that based on the current situation, that makes a lot of sense. Watch this space

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »
I wanted to take 2 of them but spotted that the where modified sine wave.

No problem for PC's that

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 01:26:50 PM »
Modified sine wave is fine for devices NOT having an electric motor.  No fridge, microwave, fan, aircon, heat pump...
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 01:37:00 PM »

I think that based on the current situation, that makes a lot of sense. Watch this space

Great stuff!!!!! :2thumbs:

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »
Noob question(s):

Intended purpose: to power my PC and Monitor during load shedding times. PC has a 650W PSU

Can I purchase a 1000W Inverter (No charging functionality), 1 X 12V 102 AH battery and something like a Benton charger. Power my PC rig via the Inverter and leave the charger permanently attached and charging. Sort of a DIY UPS

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Noob question(s):

Intended purpose: to power my PC and Monitor during load shedding times. PC has a 650W PSU

Can I purchase a 1000W Inverter (No charging functionality), 1 X 12V 102 AH battery and something like a Benton charger. Power my PC rig via the Inverter and leave the charger permanently attached and charging. Sort of a DIY UPS

BWS, this thread might help.

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/2639-hacking-ups-to-last-longer-adding-large-12v-battery/
Midrand

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 03:59:46 PM »
Been told that I need to have a MPPT VE charger so I can fit lithium ion batteries.   Anyone know what VE means?  Mine is a 4kw Mecer MPPT inverter

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »
Noob question(s):

Yes, that will work.  Why not just a UPS with a bigger battery?

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
Been told that I need to have a MPPT VE charger so I can fit lithium ion batteries.   Anyone know what VE means?  Mine is a 4kw Mecer MPPT inverter

VE- very expensive