Author Topic: Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations  (Read 9868 times)

Offline fuz940510

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
Time for another Eskom-related thread...

I had over 12 hours of load shedding this weekend, and my patience has finally reached it's limit.

I'm looking to get an inverter setup, similar to the one F_D mentioned here: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,78284.0.html

I only plan on needing to run an ADSL router (apparently about 30 watts) and charge 1 or 2 laptops (probably about 300 watts together, i'll double check the charger ratings when i get home) for the 4.5 hours. Lighting will be battery powered LEDS, and i'll get a small 2 plate camping stove for food.

Any recommendations for a battery/batteries, charger and inverter? The load is pretty small in comparison to F_D, so hopefully i can get by with 1 battery and a much smaller inverter.

Thanks,
Kean
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
Re: Eskom again - Battery, charger and inverter recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »
Go check this local forum @fuz940510 https://powerforum.co.za/ There is loads of info and help from this guys and I learned a lot from them so far.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Real Amplifiers Glow in the Dark.
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure one of our members does this as a living, it might be andredt, but not sure about this. Perhaps PM him for advice.

I would say a single 102A/Hr battery with a PSW AC Inverter of between 600w - 800w should suffice for a load of around 400-500 watts, you would also need to charge the battery most probably with an external charger. If not an intelligent charger, do not leave the charger permanently connected to the battery.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure one of our members does this as a living, it might be andredt, but not sure about this. Perhaps PM him for advice.

I would say a single 102A/Hr battery with a PSW AC Inverter of between 600w - 800w should suffice for a load of around 400-500 watts, you would also need to charge the battery most probably with an external charger. If not an intelligent charger, do not leave the charger permanently connected to the battery.

-F_D

Do the inverters not charge the batteries during Eskom feed?
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Real Amplifiers Glow in the Dark.
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 02:51:52 PM »
Some do, some don't, but the smaller ones will not charge quickly enough. A 102A/Hr battery should charge at around 10A max, and the smaller inverters will not likely be able to provide this. In a case like this where relatively quick charging is required, a charger such as the Benton BX-2 should suffice and will not over-charge the battery.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
Just stay away from the Royal battery's. @chrisc can confirm this after charging and testing one, and this is how one look after explode, of the other forum.

If you can get your hands on AGM or Gel or lead acid battery's, you sorted. Check if you can get a Inverter that is 24volt to. I'm using 48volt setup with 12V 190Ah VRLA Batteries.

Offline Crankshaft

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:48:58 PM »
I need a 48 volt battery.

Are the Ritar DC100 gel batteries any good?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
rectifier.co.za for inverter, sinetech.co.za for the bombadidas (what my son called batteries as a toddler).
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 05:26:12 PM »
@Crankshaft what is the price on them? And what size inverter?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »
I have had very poor results from lead-acid batteries, both flooded and gel type batteries

Today I went to see a house in Kommetjie which has the same size inverter as I do and also 8 Pv panels.  But he uses 1 x 200 a/h 24 volt lithium ion battery.  When the 2 1/2 hour load shedding starts, it provides 320 watts of power for the full period, whereas unless I reduce the load to under 100 watts, it cuts off after 45 mins, and if I try 200 watts, I get 20 mins.  I am using 8 x 105 a/h batteries.   I did a test today and disconnected the incoming AC and also the PV panels.  The battery voltage started off at 26.3 VDC.  Within 5 mins it was down to 25 VDC and within 20 mins, down to 23.8 VDC.   There was a 180 watt load which I made by switching on a computer and some lights.  The inverter cuts off at 21.5 VDC

So that is what I am looking for right now.  I have seen prices from R8000 to R18000 so need to do more homework.

The one it was suggested I look at is the Lithium Ion Life PO4 battery.  It has a 10 year guarantee and can be discharged to a lower level than a lead-acid. 
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »
That should be LiFePO4 ...Lithium-ion is generic type ..."Life" makes it look like a brand name or suggesting long life.  ...That might seem over-pedantic but you know how...naive and confused people are about Lithium batteries.  They're all Lithium-ion...and LiFe is more obviously Lithium Iron.

Offline xrapidx

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »
I stumbled on this site https://solaradvice.co.za/, which seems to have reasonably priced kits? Once I've paid off my current renovations - my next step is to go offgrid power wise, I definitely think it'll pay for itself in the long run. (no clue as the the actual website - just thought the pricing looks reasonable - so proceed with caution)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:46:53 AM by xrapidx »

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:48 AM »
I stumbled on this site https://solaradvice.co.za/, which seems to have reasonably priced kits? Once I've paid off my current renovations - my next step is to go offgrid power wise, I definitely think it'll pay for itself in the long run. (no clue as the the actual website - just thought the pricing looks reasonable - so proceed with caution)

If you calculate a R150k system will take roughly 7-8 years to pay for itself if your monthly bill is around R1500 per month. Not taking in to consideration the increases. Probably worth using lithium batteries for longer life however they are quite a bit more pricey

Offline xrapidx

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
If you calculate a R150k system will take roughly 7-8 years to pay for itself if your monthly bill is around R1500 per month. Not taking in to consideration the increases. Probably worth using lithium batteries for longer life however they are quite a bit more pricey

The increases are the problem though - R1,500 now - on the 1st of April that'll be R1,725 - and will probably continue to escalate as we continue to bale out Eskom. Even if you break-even, at least you'll hopefully be sitting with a more reliable setup.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Give the flippers a chance and they’ll soon enough tax solar and and other attempts to go off-grid.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.