Author Topic: Another Eskom-inspired thread  (Read 2370 times)

Offline legro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Another Eskom-inspired thread
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
Couple of threads on this already ( which I checked ) so apologies if I missed the answer to this question.

To run a rather large house ( within reason of course, lights in one or two rooms, home theatre, computers, routers, hifi ) for the hopefully maximum 4 hour Eskom commercial break;  which is best - generator or inverter?

Although I know there are some " quiet " gennies available, inverters appeal because of the silence.

Once again sorry if this has been dealt with already.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Re: Another Eskom-inspired thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:51:52 PM »
Its probably personal choice.  I fitted a 8kVA inverter and PV panels in 2015, with 10 x 105 a/h batteries.  At night it (just) lasts 2.5 hours.  During the day there is no problem, since the incoming current from the sun is 3 times what I draw  (like right now, the power has been off for 45 mins)

But it was huge hassle setting it all up

A friend has a Honda 2KW petrol inverter, cost just under R50k.   This to my mind is a good solution, but you need somewhere outside to keep it.  Much simpler though.  Shut the door and you can hardly hear it.  It runs for 8 hours on a tankful of petrol
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Real Amplifiers Glow in the Dark.
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »
I have two gennies, a 4.5kw and a 6.5kw one. Generally, I do not even bother using these, instead I use two 12v 100A/Hr batteries connected to a 1500w pure sine wave inverter all located in my study. I am quite comfortable with the inverter, on Friday we were without power for 4.5 hours (today as well) and I easily run a DSTV decoder, an Open View decoder, (for LM Radio), a LED TV, my laptop, a router, a Tivloli Audio radio and occasional use of my Denon Ceol as well. All this with no hassles, and plenty of power to spare when Eskom kindly restores my AC power.

Running the fridges or anything else is not required for this short break and I keep a flask of hot water on hand for coffee when the need arises.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
And then, recharging the 2 batteries?

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
These are permanently connected to a Benton BX-5 charger, a 9-step fully automatic charger rated at 25A. The charge is of a pulsing nature (as so it should be for batteries that are in a fixed mounting location) which assists in preventing sulphation of the plates. As the batteries reach full charge, the charging rate tapers off to a virtual trickle charger, thus cannot over-charge the batteries.

No problem with reaching full charge in under a day and as the batteries are sealed, there is no smell either.

I forgot to add that all the items mentioned in my previous post were on for the full duration of the L/shedding. This gives me time to use DSTV Catch-Up as well and the time paasses relatively quickly while doing so :)

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Des Miles

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
^^^^^^
Hi F-D. Are you using those special deep-cycle type batteries? I surmise you are using a 12v inverter with 2 x 12v batteries in parallel. I think I must go the same route. If I may ask, what make and model inverter are you using?
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
Des, I am using normal Raylite Silver Calcium batteries, each rated at 102A/Hr. The Inverter was one I bought a while ago from 4x4Direct.co.za but it seems they no longer stock this particular model. Stay away from the Modified Sine Wave inverters, nasty items. A Codan unit would be a good choice as long as it is PSW.

The one I use is brilliant, never a moments problem with it but the only downside is that is does, unfortunately, run off a 12v supply. For a 1500w Inverter, I would really suggest using two batteries in series for a DC input supply of 24v, but the pricing on the Inverter at the time was excellent at around R1500. We tested it on an AC load at work with a 'scope on the AC output - beautiful waveform!

I am not a firm believer in connecting two 12v batteries in parallel. Important to ensure that they are absolutely identical in type and capacity and they should both be new, otherwise one will sit with a problem where one battery tends to discharge through the other. But again, the system has been running like this for over three years now and I do not leave the charger permanently switched on, a simple charge run every few weeks is ample to keep things running smoothly.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
Eksdom is fuxored and we are powerless to do anything about it :giggle:
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
And yet we survive!  Africa is not for sissies.   ^-^

-F_D

-Eric

Offline legro

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »
Thanks for all the replies thus far, guys. We were load shedded for the past 4,5 hours.

" God: Let there be Light. "

" Eskom: Hey hey, not so fast."

Sorry, came to me over a whiskey in the moonlight. ;D

Offline Den123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »
Sorry. Second post says your mate paid R50k for s 2kW gen? Something very wrong with that.

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
And yet we survive!  Africa is not for sissies.   ^-^

-F_D

This is a tough continent. I doubt we will survive this. The human body was nit build to withstand this 😹
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and DS3, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield