Author Topic: small UPS for Load shedding  (Read 2281 times)

Offline naushaad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
small UPS for Load shedding
« on: March 16, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »
Hi

Need to get UPS for load shedding slots. I only need it for my Fibrebox (Vumatel), router and VOIP phone. Will 1000Va be enough? Any specific models I should get considering I am not going to use it to connect to a PC.  So I do rather not want units accommodating the pc plug.

Feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Naushaad

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: small UPS for Load shedding
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 05:07:55 PM »
@naushaad have a read here in this thread, you may find quite a bit of info in it which relates to your needs as well:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,76253.0.html

And then here too:
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,77687.0.html

Problem is that a small PC UPS will not get you through loadshedding. They are basically ‘10 minute’ UPS’s, matter how small the actual load.

Best is a trolley UPS or just a big 12V battery with a simple charger-inverter, but there are also some other solutions based around 5V power-banks for very low voltage DC loads.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:29:25 PM by Wolla »

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
Most of the UPS's I've seen carry a warning that they aren't meant to provide long back up power, just to help you shut down equipment properly. However, that said, a number of reviews I've read seem to indicate about two or three hours of battery life depending on what you have attached to it.

There are some nice informative reviews here: https://www.takealot.com/computers/all?qsearch=ups&via=suggestions&_si=b06a3ff1328533a065dc043fe8a75fe1

I need to get one when budget permits mainly for my desktop, because Eskom's power supply where I currently rent is hideous of late - load shedding schedules are pretty much never adhered to, and worst of all are the regular power off...2 seconds...power back on. Absolutely deadly for most electronic equipment, I think.  :headbanger:
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »

...2 seconds...power back on. Absolutely deadly for most electronic equipment, I think.  :headbanger:

True. We had these 2" outages every day of this week and ended up with assassinated fridge compressor motor since yesterday. Spiffy.

As for the OPs question, my 650va ups (with I think only one battery inside) powers the fibre end-point and one router-wifi-AP through 4.5hr LS period. I switch it off when I don't need it, then on again, etc.
So i think that 1000va which mostly likely has 2x 7.2ah batteries will run such load over the whole period without a problem.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:15:47 PM »
Today I had a big FU-ANsee moment
5KVA inverter  4x 170Ah will be installed next week. I quest it will increase the sellability going forward

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Digital Media Conversions
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 10:08:47 AM »
It's not "Load Shedding" it is "Rolling Backouts"  :fuse:
Digital Media Conversions - Preserving Memories

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 07:38:05 AM »
Go check this forum. https://powerforum.co.za/ I learned a lot in this past 5 weeks from them. I'm busy building up a solar system for my house now.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline naushaad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:12:48 PM »
Thanks,

So many options and so much to read.

I went with a 2000va Mecer UPS. Serving my purpose so far. Will going  keep loading it to determine what the limit is.

So far running, VOX box, router, Skype phone and 5W lamp without issue. Nice and quiet when not providing a load.

Thanks

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
U-Secure, Ottery Value Centre have 12 volt 8 a/h batteries
IDS in Maitland also have
Music is the shorthand of emotion