Author Topic: Elear vs the HD800  (Read 223 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Elear vs the HD800
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:26 PM »
Anyone have some impressions of the one vs the other?
Only a few hours listening on Elear but have to admit there is lots to like. 
I can move and work with them on my head.  I think leakage is lower than my other open phones.  They work well with a firm hand but it need not be an iron fist in a glove. 

Iow the AK jr is comfortable with them where the HD800 are kind of great but you just know itís working hard and things arenít quite what they should or could be. 

Space is quite good but not HD800
Insight is good, but not as deep or lit. 
The bass? Excellent.  Really.  Hard to fault.

I am kind of liking it.
Itís kind of a good speaker that needs a good amp to shine and make music but it need not be a behemoth. 

Firm noggin grip but good comfort, driveable with a nice amp/dap, close to top performance.  For now I really like this one as an office headphone. 

Xenithon?
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline gLer

Re: Elear vs the HD800
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:49:33 PM »
@Scubadude needs to chime in here. He now has both (well, more Elex than Elear but he can explain). Iíve owned both but never compared them side by side. Will give my 0.02 in the morning.

TL;DR both are unique in what they can do, Elear is MUCH easier to drive and MUCH LESS picky with amps. Very different to each other.
Desktop: Mac mini >> Audirvana >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Auteur/HD800 + Mobile: FiiO 7-Eleven

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
As gLer said I own both (as does @thomas24 ) since two weeks ago. I think they both excel at replicating the sound of good speakers in a good room. But in very different ways. The HD800 is like extremely high resolution monitors in an anechoic chamber. Fast, detailed, pin sharp imaging. The Elears sound more like muscle-amped full range speakers in a slightly wet sounding lounge. Great impact and quite musical but not as focused as the HD800. Perfect complementary headphones I think.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Elear vs the HD800
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:46 AM »
As gLer said I own both (as does @thomas24 ) since two weeks ago. I think they both excel at replicating the sound of good speakers in a good room. But in very different ways. The HD800 is like extremely high resolution monitors in an anechoic chamber. Fast, detailed, pin sharp imaging. The Elears sound more like muscle-amped full range speakers in a slightly wet sounding lounge. Great impact and quite musical but not as focused as the HD800. Perfect complementary headphones I think.

Very well put.

Wilson vs Dynaudio I was thinking.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:11:41 AM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline gLer

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:42 AM »
What @Scubadude said. I would only add that I prefer the Elear with Elex pads (more linear sound, better quality material), and likewise with Dekoni leather pads (even better made than the Focal pads but different sound presentation). The stock Elear pads are poor IMO.

The only reason I no longer own the Elear/Elex is because I got an Auteur, which is likewise very complementary with the HD800 and too similar to the Elex for me to keep both.
Desktop: Mac mini >> Audirvana >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Auteur/HD800 + Mobile: FiiO 7-Eleven