Author Topic: Disappointing purchase from a seller on the forum  (Read 670 times)

Offline Burzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • "Of course you know how to dance." - Alcohol
Disappointing purchase from a seller on the forum
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:05:59 PM »
I have had a disappointing experience on this forum regarding buying an item on the traders section from a very active member. A respected member I would think in terms of what he puts out there.

The item was going at a reasonable price. Albeit an older model.

I am based in Durban and the seller in Transvaal.

Obviously I can't test it in person. So on a gentlemans agreement it was verified as bieng in complete working order.

Soon after receiveing the item and putting it in use I started experiencing some issues.

It works manually. But severely temperamental  when using the remote. Unable to access menus and core functional use.

I tried to resolve the issues my self. But to no avail.

My gripe is. Why not be upfront and tell me these are the problems.

I am a relatively new member and thought this was a safe space with like minded people.

I have come to the conclusion that it is just as perilous as Gumtree and to boot I have come across couple of nasty buggers on this forum.

I am very cautious on Gumtree and now even more so on this forum.

Just my 2c.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:44:23 PM by Family_Dog »

Offline ron g

Re: Re: Purchase going bad Velodyne spl 1200 ultra. Need remote
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »
I have had a disappointing experience on this forum regarding buying an item on the traders section from a very active member. A respected member I would think in terms of what he puts out there.

The item was going at a reasonable price. Albeit an older model.

I am based in Durban and the seller in Transvaal.

Obviously I can't test it in person. So on a gentlemans agreement it was verified as bieng in complete working order.

Soon after receiveing the item and putting it in use I started experiencing some issues.

It works manually. But severely temperamental  when using the remote. Unable to access menus and core functional use.

I tried to resolve the issues my self. But to no avail.

My gripe is. Why not be upfront and tell me these are the problems.

I am a relatively new member and thought this was a safe space with like minded people.

I have come to the conclusion that it is just as perilous as Gumtree and to boot I have come across couple of nasty buggers on this forum.

I am very cautious on Gumtree and now even more so on this forum.

Just my 2c.

you don't mention the seller's response at all so it is not clear if you have raised the issue with them.

if you have raised the issue & they have blown you off then inform them that you will publicly name & shame if they don't resolve within a specified time.

also, this really should have been in a separate thread instead of hijacking this one.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Burzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • "Of course you know how to dance." - Alcohol
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:40:02 PM »
you don't mention the seller's response at all so it is not clear if you have raised the issue with them.

if you have raised the issue & they have blown you off then inform them that you will publicly name & shame if they don't resolve within a specified time.

also, this really should have been in a separate thread instead of hijacking this one.
Noted. Mods , please remove my post.

Offline What

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »
@Burzat Whaaat what-what!!!??? Yes please, start a new thread so I and the other noobs can know whom to avoid, please.

Offline legro

Re: Disappointing purchase from a seller on the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »
" Couple of nasty buggers on the forum "?

Most certainly. However, you are not forced to interact with them. ( My kid was doing " cyber bullying " at school and must confess the concept has me rather mystified. Just switch off and ignore. Nothing infuriates a bully more than no response ).

Purchase disappointment? Something rather different but very important here. There will, however, be your point of view, his, and, of course, the illusive " truth " so we will need more info.

We may need the seller to come in here - sometimes they even do.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:56:54 PM by legro »

Offline Wim

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »
Did you give him a negative feedback on his profile, even just a neutral? All the dealings I had was with members with only positive ratings and all were upfront with me regarding the condition and had 0 hassles. I will be weary dealing with someone with a couple of (warranted) negatives here.

I have yet to see someone actually with a negative feedback, come to think of it!

Online Dolby

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
Sorry to hear.

I've actually heard of a few stories (hearsay - can't repeat or give names) of (a few) long standing members and slightly less than ideal sales. But on the whole, this is actually an awesome place with some really awesome members. Personally, I've had only positive experiences here in my almost 15 years

Offline Stanp

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
I always trust until betrayed, then I no longer trust the individual and not a whole group. I think members here are gentleman and a gentle lady. Sorry to hear of your experience, it should be able to be resolved.