Author Topic: Advice pls  (Read 246 times)

Offline Mongoose

Advice pls
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:36:33 PM »
Hey gents. Im in need of some advice here.

So my sons pc would power up for about 5 seconds, but would not display anything on the screen, neither would the monitor pick up a signal from the mobo. Google suggested that the three beeps we were getting from the Intel dq87pg board, suggested that it was faulty ram. I tried running single modules in each slot without any success. Dekardy was kind enough to organize some ram, for which we are grateful for, but even with that installed it still only gives us the same three beeps and no display on the monitor. Ive tried resetting the board several times and still no go. He doesnt get out much, or should I say that I dont let him go out much, and this is what keeps him entertained at home. And to top it off, school holidays starts on Friday  :(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:40:04 PM by Mongoose »

Offline psymon007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • ====<0 ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Re: Advice pls
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:33 PM »
Hey gents. Im in need of some advice here.

So my sons pc would power up for about 5 seconds, but would not display anything on the screen, neither would the monitor pick up a signal from the mobo. Google suggested that the three beeps we were getting from the Intel dq87pg board, suggested that it was faulty ram. I tried running single modules in each slot without any success. Dekardy was kind enough to organize some ram, for which we are grateful for, but even with that installed it still only gives us the same three beeps and no display on the monitor. Ive tried resetting the board several times and still no go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Most likely, considering the diagnosis that you have performed, is that the motherboard / RAM controller is faulty. New motherboard in that case.

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 12:01:35 AM »
Most likely, considering the diagnosis that you have performed, is that the motherboard / RAM controller is faulty. New motherboard in that case.

Was so hoping it wouldnt be this. Its hard finding a socket 1150 board  :walled:

Offline Juggy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:01:12 AM »
Was so hoping it wouldnt be this. Its hard finding a socket 1150 board  :walled:

Pop over the www.carbonite.co.za and put out a wanted advert

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »
...or upgrade cpu motherboard and ram to a ddr4 setup...?

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »
...or upgrade cpu motherboard and ram to a ddr4 setup...?

Thats going o work out alot bru

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »
If anybody knows of anybody with a 1150 mobo, I palced and add in the wanted section, pls let me know.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
What sort of budget? and what general purpose does the current PC fulfill?

In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
https://www.rebelgaming.co.za/product/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-upgrade-kit/

This is exceptional value, and even if he has no dedicated GPU, he can play Fortnite and other eSports titles with the onboard Vega graphics. I've dealt with them a few times in the past and Julio's after sales service is beyond compare. Based in Cape Town. (No affiliation)

In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline merlin3001

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
I would definitely agree with a diagnosis of faulty board, but given that it's not an easy/cheap fix - one more thing you can try is swap the PSU and see if it helps.  A slightly dodgy PSU can cause all sorts of mischief (speaking from personal experience).  I would imagine it's possible that the PSU has deteriorated to the point it's giving you enough volts to get the CPU going but can't deliver to the rest of the system.    I have a spare PSU you could use to test  but unfortunately in PE....

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:28:57 PM »
I would definitely agree with a diagnosis of faulty board, but given that it's not an easy/cheap fix - one more thing you can try is swap the PSU and see if it helps.  A slightly dodgy PSU can cause all sorts of mischief (speaking from personal experience).  I would imagine it's possible that the PSU has deteriorated to the point it's giving you enough volts to get the CPU going but can't deliver to the rest of the system.    I have a spare PSU you could use to test  but unfortunately in PE....

Tried with a good 450w psu, only had mobo, cpu and ram installed and did exactly the same thing. I will shoot myself if it is that!

Offline merlin3001

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »
Yeah. My gut says faulty mobo, but it's a last roll of the dice before trying to find a new board (difficult) or doing a full upgrade of CPU/memory etc (expensive). 

I'm hardly an expert, but one point on PSU is that the total wattage is only part of the story.  The unit has various power rails and you can have it seemingly fine in every other respect, but one faulty rail not delivering the juice it's meant to provide.  Hence why it can be tricky to troubleshoot

Offline SeanS

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 09:34:17 PM »
My daughters pc was doing similar it was the hdd cable which was not properly seated.... have you tried disconnecting or removing hdds cards etc.. I assume so.