Author Topic: Laptop spec  (Read 714 times)

Offline Katji

Re: Laptop spec
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:16:01 AM »
Some feedback: I got a RAM upgrade. On opening the laptop, I was surprised to find a single empty SIM slot. It has 4GB onboard RAM. With an 8GB SIM added, I now have 12GB total RAM.

I was unlucky with that.  ASUS Vivobook [whatever].  8GB, one slot, iirc, need a specific module to increase it, but the problem was finding the right module, most sites selling memory modules not showing the exact module number/code.

Offline Larry

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 09:22:45 AM »
Some feedback: I got a RAM upgrade. On opening the laptop, I was surprised to find a single empty SIM slot. It has 4GB onboard RAM. With an 8GB SIM added, I now have 12GB total RAM. Result: no more lagging. I can now work with multiple applications and browser windows open and not feel that the computer is slowing down. As expected, startup is not quick but after a couple of weeks working with the current setup I have become used to it. Once up and running, everything is fine.

To those who recommended changing settings: it may have made a difference, but I was not able to observe an improvement when I made the changes, because the bottleneck was the RAM. I'm not changing it back to find out!

FWIW, I wish I could have an SSD also but you know how things work: it costs money.

Thanks for your inputs, guys.

:2thumbs:

This is good feedback.  I would strongly suggest getting the SSD in the future.  I know that the performance is acceptable to you now, however let me assure you in terms of that machines useful life and longevity, it will make a considerable difference.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »
I was unlucky with that.  ASUS Vivobook [whatever].  8GB, one slot, iirc, need a specific module to increase it, but the problem was finding the right module, most sites selling memory modules not showing the exact module number/code.

Our IT guy needed the laptop's serial number to enable the supplier to check for correct compatibility.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline jasondeklerk

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »
This is good feedback.  I would strongly suggest getting the SSD in the future.  I know that the performance is acceptable to you now, however let me assure you in terms of that machines useful life and longevity, it will make a considerable difference.

What is the longivity if I opt for a SSD instead of a HDD? Because I have had so many HDD's die on my in the past. If it is worth the money, then that is something I would do next time.

Offline Larry

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
What is the longivity if I opt for a SSD instead of a HDD? Because I have had so many HDD's die on my in the past. If it is worth the money, then that is something I would do next time.

Flash memory does fail, without a doubt.  However its not nearly as volatile spinning disk in terms of being bumped or dropped.  What I really meant though, is that the usable life of the laptop will be increased with an SSD, due to the performance enhancement at a reasonable cost.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »

Most are around 1-1.5 million hours MTBF

SATA vs NVMe should be much of a muchness

Offline Sabreme

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 11:55:43 AM »
Also, SSD has another advantage of no moving parts.

Hence, should increase battery performance by a little as well

Offline randomguy

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
Thankfully prices of SSDs have come down dramatically over the years, there isn't really much of a premium on them anymore and they really are the biggest easy single upgrade you can make to a laptop.