They joys of a tube amp and tube rolling

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I have had many amplifiers in my audio journey, both solid state and tubes. The one thing that I really enjoy are tube amplifiers and more specifically so is the fact that one can do tube rolling, literally like changing a light bulb. (I would like to clarify I do not like the amps where one has to bias the amp after changing tubes and I am not fond of amps with many multiple expensive matching unobtanium tubes - those are not for rolling)

I have read many times of people getting tired of this industry, losing interest and not really enjoying their journey anymore... getting bored... Sometimes buying a new amplifier or speakers gets one out of the slump and one starts enjoying music/hobby again... till boredom and the slump sets in again.

Enter tube rolling :) You can change the sound of your system with merely rolling a couple of tubes, heck, even just one tube. One tube can cost as little as R200. That's why I love my DarkVoice 336SE tube preamp so much! I can change just the preamp tube and I have a new system  :groovy: If I really want to explore I can change the power tube as well, or any combination of pre and power tubes to fancy.

I have a nice selection of tubes and every month or so I change them. It keeps me smiling, the head bobbing and me interested.

Latest posts