Author Topic: Lindt Hazelnut Spread  (Read 846 times)

Offline santoshlv426

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
Re: Lindt Hazelnut Spread
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »
I agree that's it's not all the same.
I've not quite liked the Nutella when I tasted it in Australia.
The South Africa, Germany and France Nutella's were good but the latter two was way harder than our local Nutella.

Anyway, we're not the only one's discussing this. The Lindt is a fairly recent release - mid 2018 and was in fact done to "take on nutella"

See this for interest

http://mentalfloss.com/article/550072/lindt-chocolate-hazelnut-spread-versus-nutella

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Anything involving chocolate will usually be tailored to the country it is being sold in.  For example, a UK chocolate bar (Dairy Milk, Galaxy, Lindt) would melt too easily on a shop counter in SA.  Thus the recipes are different in terms of oils, sugar content and are also tailored to local tastes.  The SA market has a much sweeter tooth than the UK (try Fanta in the UK versus SA for an example).  So horses for courses etc....
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Katji

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • jagasounds at soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
It's been forced on us.  The Fanta became sickly sweet, i stopped liking it. They even put sugar in canned peas.  The amount of sugar in chocolate increased over the years. And now we have the sugar tax, kind of new "sin tax."
Sugar is addictive/habit-forming. The taste/palate becomes used to it, so more is needed to make something seem sweet.  Me, sugar - like cakes and stuff - does to me what coffee does to other people.

However, you can add sugar to the list of things...Britain vs here. I suppose most Europeans have never tasted real sugar, they've only ever had that awful beet sugar.  As in, the ordinary/regular sugar in the supermarket is real sugar. 
btw, the tour of the Sugar Terminal at Maydon Wharf is good. The smell of the raw sugar is almost intoxicating, and you get to see a whole railway wagon lifted up and tipped over by a special crane thing.  :>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:54:46 PM by Katji »

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
Sugar's just gotten a bad wrap as the Medical Insurance companie's e.g. Discovery, Fedhealth and their UK and USA counterparts have been around for since the mid 1980's and now, the level of claim's are mounting - seriously mounting.
they need to keep the revenue in the income statment's rising, the balance sheet shored up, and reduce the number of claim's and one of the way's of doing this is eliminate "practially everything" people eat.
Sugar's the target today, tomorrow it will be bread, rice, chicken and so it will go until we're all left eating a medical aid approved diet of scientifically formulated Futurelife.

Sugar is not addictive. I love Sugar and will never give it up, but I don't wake up in cold sweats at night looking for a "fix".
Sugar is not Cocaine, Heroin or Meth-Amphetamines
Sugar is the living organism's energy source - everythine we eat, from raw sugar to beef is converted to Glucose after which it's absorbed.
I remember as a kid in the mid 1980's when we had sport's day at our Primary School, heck the teacher's were actually giving us Glucose and Oranges before the sprint's.

today, they'd probably be chastised !

So I take it no one has tasted the Lindt yet ?

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
Sugar is not addictive. I love Sugar and will never give it up, but I don't wake up in cold sweats at night looking for a "fix".

Sugar is the living organism's energy source - everything we eat, from raw sugar to beef is converted to Glucose after which it's absorbed.

I am addicted to carbs and sugar, withdrawal lasts about a week. No cold sweats but serious behavioural stimulus. The dopamine response of sugar is well documented. Sucrose is weakly bonded fructose-glucose and absorbed as such into the blood stream. If you are immune to sugar, more strength to you.

Glucose is a ready energy source and can be metabolised by nearly every cell in the body. Your body has a buffer of about one tablespoon worth of glucose in the blood and a couple of 100g in glycogen (glucose + 4 parts water) in muscles and the liver. Glucose is by no means the only source and the body has endogenous metabolic pathways which come without the rollercoaster ride. The liver produces much if not all of the body's glucose requirement even when one eats a high carb diet.

Fructose is metabolised exclusively in the liver by the identical pathway as ethanol, moreso in the presence of high insulin. This is how I ended up with a non alcoholic fatty liver for example and large swathes of the population have this condition. Being slender is not mutually exclusive with visceral fat.

Sugar on its own is not very healthy; its use in hyper-palatable processed foods is the real issue and they got unlucky to be singled out for the tax. Feeding studies maximise intake with sweet/starch and fat combined. It's how one fattens lab rats and pigs; humans are much the same. There is a saddle point with carb and fat where the processed food industry aims at. A sweet spot of sorts.

Fructose and ethanol have the exact same effect on the liver and visceral fat along with a 7-fold increase in oxidative stress over glucose (advanced glycation end-products). Glucose competes for absorption with a number of minerals/vitamins so orange juice for example has minimal bio-availability. There are far better animal and veg sources.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:41:50 PM by Timber_MG »

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
It's a no-win scenario really.
Up until 10 years I hated fruit, couldn't stand the stuff.
Now I'm fruit obsessed and eat about 700g per day. It should be a good thing, except that it's Fructose.
So what's one supposed to do, give up fruit ? This I can't do.

As humans (mammals), anything that grow's on a plant, and not "in" a plant should be good for us and this should include sugar (from sugar cane), rice, potatoes and fruit. These are all carbohydrates, and yet its supposed to be "bad" for us, contributing to visceral fat, which I too am battling with now that I'm over 40 !

@ Timber - Interesting write up.

Offline optimus

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 01:43:39 PM »
I have tried that Lindt choc spread . In fact I am still tasting my way through a second bottle  :)

It is definitely not as sweet as Nutella , but it is almost double the price for similar sizes

I don't have a label to compare nutritional values but will definitely do a comparison with Nutella  when next i can .

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 03:09:22 PM »
I have both at home, the Lindt and Nutella.
But enough about the nutrition, which do you prefer Optimus ?
Alas, I'm have yet to open mine - hopefully next week. Been getting thru a whole of of other chocolates so long, one of those being the Lindt Les Grandes Creme Brulee !

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
Nutella definitely is the benchmark, every time i take a trip to Italy i bring back 2-3 950g bottles of Nutella.

In Italy the 950g bottle costs E4.99 (R80) compared to the 650g bottle which you get here for R95-R100

Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline optimus

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
I have both at home, the Lindt and Nutella.
But enough about the nutrition, which do you prefer Optimus ?
Alas, I'm have yet to open mine - hopefully next week. Been getting thru a whole of of other chocolates so long, one of those being the Lindt Les Grandes Creme Brulee !

Definitely the Lindt .

Earlier in this thread there was a mention of regional differences in palm content of Nutella, which might or might not account for the oily residue left in my bowl after mixing in Nutella .

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
This is an old topic, but as I initiated it, I feel obliged to provide some feedback, and yes, It's been 4 months but I finally opened the Lindt spread and for those curious about the taste, I can attest to it being nothing like Nutella.
It's about 40% less sweet. With this spread, the taste of the Hazelnuts is distinct - it is a proper nut spread and it's not surprising with a 40% nut content.
Don't bother giving it to kids, it's way too expensive and they won't appreciate it especially as it's not as sweet.
Nutella is a sweet indulgence, whereas Lindt got the balance with the Nut-Choc-Cream right.

There is a significant amount of oil, which is probably due to the nuts.
I love both, each satisfying a different taste sensation

Offline tptb

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
Thankfully not seen any yet to try out.  Am more than fat enough already.
ow fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.