Author Topic: Lindt Hazelnut Spread  (Read 568 times)

Offline santoshlv426

Lindt Hazelnut Spread
« on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
Got one of these as a once off treat from Lindt in Menlyn. It's about twice the price of Nutella, but
Nutella is made in Poland (cheap labour) and Lindt is made in Italy
Nutella has only 13% Hazelnut's and Lindt a massive 40%

Still not opened , but wanted to know if any of the guys have tried the Lindt Hazelnut spread ?

Offline rodga

Re: Lindt Hazelnut Spread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »
Got one of these as a once off treat from Lindt in Menlyn. It's about twice the price of Nutella, but

Still not opened , but wanted to know if any of the guys have tried the Lindt Hazelnut spread ?
When I can come around to try some lol

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »
You have some very strange ideas about Europe but I won't elaborate unless you ask for it.

On a cost by weight scale of raw materials, cacao is probably 10 times more expensive than hazelnut.
So, it's the % of cacao that determines the monetary value of such products, not hazelnut.
Hazelnut grows as wild and as prolific as weed in most of Europe.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Katji

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
 :giggle:

There's also an alternative at Checkers - Red Bicycle, German.  I googled it now and got a very negative review, but I thought it was as good as Nutella.

Offline MR.C

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »

Saw it a few weeks ago in same Menlyn store, and picked it up.
Asked the guy for the price, and put it down.

You can invite us all for a taste, I want mine spread on toast please.

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline HB

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
I grew up with this stuff, being a Belgian.
Not sure what's wrong with Nutella? The recipe/quality IMO, hasn't changed to my knowledge since I was a kid.
 it's all about the quality of the chocolate. Some compromises were made to make it spreadable. I am of the opinion that Nutella is the benchmark.  :2c:
I'm intrigued to know which you prefer.

When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
Nutella is mostly palm (part kernel) oil, sugar, cacao and hazelnut. Ferrero has been caught out cheapening the product for some markets, even within Europe. Most of their nuts hail from Turkey.

Offline HB

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »
Polish, Turkish, shmirkish. On fresh steamy bread with butter and strong coffee. I don't care who makes it.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »
For the record, I love Nutella, from the first time I tasted it in 2002 to now and when I did, the first thought was "where has this product been all my life".
I still do and I agree - Nutella is in fact the "Benchmark" of choco spreads and this has been proven time again.
Where I was coming from with this thread is I will compare the Lindt to Nutella, so see if the Lindt is as good as Nutella and if it can justify the price.

Both are made by the two producers of great chocolate - Nutella by Ferrero (Ferrero Rocher) and Lindt, which we all know.
If the Lindt spread is anything like what's found in the center of a Lindor Ball, then it's a winner.
Look out for it next time you're around a Lindt shop.
As middle aged adult's we consume too little of this stuff for it to make much of a difference though.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
@HB The point was that in their product sold in Poland and Eastern Europe, Ferrero reduces the cacao content compared to Germany and Italy. It's not the location of manufacture matters but that of purchase. Most of the off brands add more sugar to displace the other ingredients. I know people that will smokkel in large tubs of the stuff from their travels to get at the real deal.

It is too sweet for my tastes these days and I no longer really eat bread much. I do eat a fair whack of Lindt chocolate though.

Offline xenithon

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »
Nutella differs depending on where you are in the world. There are over 20 different versions AFAIK. The taste is mostly the same with some subtle variation depending on what the local market prefers (typically relating to sweetness). The major difference though comes in the consistency - the viscosity differs markedly depending on where in the  world you buy the jar, largely influenced by the type of bread in that country. For example in SA and South America it is usually quite runny because the bread is soft. In places like Germany, with often harder breads, it is a thicker.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
I once read an article on it and from what I recollect the consistency is most likely down to the makeup in the palm oil (kernel vs fruit oil) which is tailored to temperature and the sugar/cacao content. Where they can get away with it, they will substitute cocoa with sugar for preference and cost. South Africa in general has very sweet condiments and companies like Ferrero won't mind cutting cocoa with sugar.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
… uurgh.. since reading this I have been searching the house for chocolate.. . none!!!

Offline Atjan

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
Our 11 year old is a full on Nutella addict. If  there is a jar in cupboard, its gone in a day or 3.
She once ate so much she actually got a rash and we cut her supply for a few months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's only hifi people....

Offline optimus

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:29 AM »
I normally add a spoonful of Nutella to my oats in the morning .

I must now look out for this Lindt spread  :rubhands: