Author Topic: USB transcriber 'component'  (Read 298 times)

Offline kritzingerf

USB transcriber 'component'
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi guys!

I have searched, and, although I have found some items, nothing is really exactly what I have in mind....  thus, I decided on this post...

So, I have seen some Chinese electronic devices that looks like a walkman of old, that will allow you to record your cassettes onto USB or SD card.  I have also seen some of the record players that will record your frisbees to USB.  that is all good and well. 

What I am looking for, is a standard size hi-fi component that can be plugged into your stereo amp on the DAT or Tape 2 loop, and be used to record whatever analog signal your amp puts out, to USB/SD/HDD...

Does such a device even exist?

Although this is technically perfectly possible with the help of a computer or laptop, I do not want to take my hi-fi stack to the study, or my computer to the living room...  what suggestions do you have? do you know of any such device?  DIY maybe?

regards

Francois

Offline kritzingerf

Re: USB transcriber 'component'
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
Further to this... I have been thinking of something else now...   In the old days, we cot the cassette that had wires and a playback head, so you could use your portable CD player to play through the cassette deck at home or in your car...    has anyone seen a 'recordable cassette' that takes a SD card, that can be placed in your normal cassette deck, and you hit record...  this device will then write your recording to the memory card...

I still think a standalone 'component' with a line in, and line out would be best.   you would need to set recording volume, as on a cassette deck, and choose your destination - SD/USB/HDD.  Perhaps also a selector switch to choose recording format - WAV/MP3, and sampling rate with a couple of values.  The device will have standard playback controls - PREV/NEXT/PLAY/STOP/PAUSE/REC, and a display that can show track name (in playback mode), and any other information, as well as the bar graph for the recording level...

If this is DIY, I would assume Arduino would NOT be sufficient, and perhaps one would need to look at a Raspberry Pi at least...

Has anyone done anything similar?

F

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
There's a portable digital recorder that Hi-Phibian often recommends.

There are sure to be rack-mount versions from the same manufacturer.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:01:45 PM »
My neighbour is a Catholic evangelist and has brought me several hundred cassettes to make CDs.  I just use a cassette deck and a USB audio capture device attached to the line out, and Audacity.   You can configure Audacity to stop recording when the signal ceases so I don't have to listen to this incredibly boring program

Works well and was cheap, I think under R200
Music is the shorthand of emotion