The NEXT cable Thread

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Name the Best 5 Speaker cables you have experienced in your personal(preferably) or someone else's  system.

I can list quite a few, but what prompted me to start the thread was an experience I had very early in my life as a young rookie in the HiFi shop I started my full time career.

1) Monster Sigma speaker cable

So, around late 80's I was working for Jan Sime at Hifi Installations  Fox Street.

One of Jan's old clients walked in, and Jan not available we started chatting.  I was as hungry as....and wanted to use every opportunity to chat, learn and experience from people with more knowledge.
It turned out that this guy was looking to replace his trusted Denon 6600 Mono Blocs. Very keen I made contact with Soundlab, who at the time was the Krell agents, and arranged a Krell KSA100 to demo for the client at his home.
Got the Krell, installed the unit(guy was using some fancy Tannoys). Although the Krell made some difference to the sound, it was not what he was looking for.......and needless to say, we were both disappointed.  Hell everyone wanted to own a Krell in those days.
So jump a few chapters and I am back with a pair Monster Sigma cables also with the compliments from Soundlab. Putting the cable into the system, immediately took away a lot of the harshness, and resulted in a warmer sound with much deeper Bass.
Exactly what he was looking for in the system and he gladly parted with the R15K(saved himself R35K, as the Krell at the time was R50K)
I also left that house knowing that the Denon 6600's were very special......punching way above their asking price, and had the label been different, many more would have taken the product seriously.

2) QED Silver Anniversary

This silver coated cable made huge differences in moderate systems, with loads of detail that blew new life into many a systems. We sold reels and reels over the years of this cable.

3) Van den Hul Clearwater

Not as prestigious as the bigger sibling....The Wind. The Clearwater looked good, for a relatively inexpensive cable, the construction made sence, and the cable had a way to just draw you into the music.

4) Straight Wire Virtuoso

I first heard this cable many years ago at the late Andre Van den Heuvel's home. The speakers were the big Thiels Model 7's with Jeff Roland Mono Blocs, Theta Gen V DAC with drive.
The sound was astonishing and what blew me was the naturalness and synergy in the system. The Virtuoso is most probably one of the most neutral sounding cables that I know off. Almost boring to a degree. Still today I am using Virtuoso between my Pre and Phono from time to time.

5) Shunyata Sigma Speaker Cable

Yes, I am biased,  and yes, I am the Distributor for Shunyata. But the Sigma's are easily the Best cable I have ever had in my personal System. No fuss with the best synergy I have ever experienced in my setup.

So my list can carry on and on....

But I am looking forward to read about others and their personal experiences.