Author Topic: New to Headphones - some advice please  (Read 772 times)

Offline vee

New to Headphones - some advice please
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Morning all

Ive never really been a headphone person so looking for some advice/tips/brands when making a purchase.

They will be used 50/50 for travelling (air) and home (to be used in my home theater setup and audiobooks/podcasts) . Wireless is preferred I think but not a deal breaker (are there dual wireless and wired?). Noise cancellation/suppression I suppose is needed for travel

Not intending to break the bank budget is probably around R3k but not limited - dependant on quality/bang for buck

thanks in advance

Offline Deviation

Re: New to Headphones - some advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsmwR801nQ

These headphones pretty much ticks off all the boxes you mentioned.

I personally had the Sony MDR 1000X, got it for under R3000 second hand.
One thing I learned from this headphone:
Earplugs works just as well as, if not better than NC. NC headphones have this constant buzzing that get's irritating.
Carrying it around for travel is an annoyance. Especially in long distance flight.
You have to take them out multiple times during security checks, the carrying case will take quite a bit of space in your backpack.
Oh, also battery last over 20 hours but you still have to make sure to charge an extra device. 
In terms of audio, wired headphones around 150-200$ will give you better listening experience.

In conclusion, when I came back from my travels, I dumped the Sony MDR 1000X.
My advice is to look for headphones for home use.

Offline naughty

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:56:36 PM »
Wireless is preferred I think but not a deal breaker (are there dual wireless and wired?). Noise cancellation/suppression I suppose is needed for travel

the AKG Y50BT is wireless and wired ie it uses Bluetooth and AptX if your source is AptX capable ..... and if you do not power them on there is a cable provided so you can use it wired as well - though the wired is still "slightly" softer than the wireless (human hearing is such that when we hear the louder item we mistake or perceive this as being "better" though its only just perceptibly louder)

there is one in the classifieds right now going for pretty cheap

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,77783.0.html

only thing is that it doesnt feature any active noise cancelling

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:13:42 AM »
I would opt for something like a set of B&W P7 (the cabled version). Slightly above your budget but you may find a bargain used.

I hate wireless headsets. Had a few and whenever I wanted to use them the batteries are always flat. Noise cancelling is also unnecessary IMHO. If you get a set of over ears (like the P7) it seals enough of the ambient sound off to not intrude. They collapse for portability, sound pretty decent even straight off a phone and the build quality is brilliant. No plastic - all steel and leather.

Comfort is critical. You must either get something that is completely over ear or find something that is small and just covers the ear hole while not pressing the ear shell (helix) against your skull.
The most terrible headphone is one that is in-between these and sit right on top of your ear shell (helix). It is just terribly uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:34:32 AM by Drifter »

Online AlleyCat

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
^^ That is a decent suggestion, the P7's are more hi-fi sounding than the usual headphone sound. Stick them on a decent portable headphone amp and the sound improves exponentially. They are also not bad to use on your home hi-fi setup, and also sound decent on most cellphones.

[I own a pair and use them with an ADL headphone amp with various ipods and other sources.]
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline vee

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback
Will look into the P7's as well

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline DavidC

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
Have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50X with the optional BT Amp, slightly over your budget but it tics all the boxes except for NC which I find is not really needed when using decent over ear headphones.
I have the Audio Technica MSR7NC and I very seldom use the NC function.
The BT amp does have NC but not sure how that will work for airline travel?

https://www.cplanaudio.co.za/collections/headphones/products/audio-technica-ath-m50x-professional-studio-monitor-headphones-black
https://www.cplanaudio.co.za/products/fiio-bta10-bluetooth-adapter-and-amplifier-for-ath-m50x-with-aptx-aac-support

Offline naughty

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »
Have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50X with the optional BT Amp, slightly over your budget but it tics all the boxes except for NC which I find is not really needed when using decent over ear headphones.
I have the Audio Technica MSR7NC and I very seldom use the NC function.
The BT amp does have NC but not sure how that will work for airline travel?

https://www.cplanaudio.co.za/collections/headphones/products/audio-technica-ath-m50x-professional-studio-monitor-headphones-black
https://www.cplanaudio.co.za/products/fiio-bta10-bluetooth-adapter-and-amplifier-for-ath-m50x-with-aptx-aac-support

definitely a great solution as well  :thumbs:

Offline vee

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:30:52 AM »
definitely a great solution as well  :thumbs:
These look very good, and it seems they can be demo'd too
Thanks!

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
Also worth a look are Beyerdynamic Custom One plus which offer great sound with adjustable bass ports and Android/Apple interface and microphone in the cable.  These can be demoed at Cplan and shortly at Icons as well.

Offline vee

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
Hey guys, sennheiser momentum 2 is on sale for R3399@ dionwired.. These are wired and sounded pretty good to me connected to my phone using tidal...