Author Topic: Voltage doubler: 5V to 10V DC  (Read 413 times)

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
Voltage doubler: 5V to 10V DC
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:01:08 PM »
As per title, I'm looking for a prebuilt circuit of on of these, anyone know where I can get one in Cape Town?
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Den123

Re: Voltage doubler: 5V to 10V DC
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:27:09 AM »
Size (W or A)?

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:09:53 AM »
Tiny I guess? I'm looking to step up the voltage from a Powerbank from 5V 10V to power a Wifi/switch at home during load shedding. I have the Fiber router sorted with it's powerbank.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »
You are looking for a DC boost converter. I had a look, but your input voltage of 5VDC is an issue and I do not see any cheap options.

Why do you not run a separate 12VDC LiIon battery to 10VDC via a DC-DC converter? Is going to be cheaper than a boost converter.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
It is doable.
https://www.robotics.org.za/MT3608?search=mt3608
QC2 and QC3 chargers can put out 9V and 12V as well.

The easiest is to get a purpose built box with a battery, charger and box.

Offline Wolla

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
BWS, I ordered a few of these yesterday. They probably won’t get here during this round of loadshedding, but at least I should be ok for ‘next time’.

I’m ok for my network, since all my network kit is 5V devices. However, the landline has a Siemens Sender unit which requires 6.5V DC 600mA, hence this purchase. Although I have a few UPS units throughout the house, this particular phone point is not close to one so I think a little step-up buck unit should work fine on a powerbank.

That said, our Telkom exchange goes off-line as soon as loadshedding kicks in and does not come on by itself after power is restored. I have reported it several times and hopefully someone will listen and finally sort it out. Its a big pain as the technician normally sorts it out just before the next loadshedding turn and then its down again - and so it goes, with very little uptime. Just by the by, looks like most, if not all, Yealink DECT phone systems works off a very handy 5V, so I will probably buy one of there phone systems next time round.

Here is the link to the units that I ordered - they are pretty cheap and for some reason it would only let me select a max of 4 units to order:
https://m.banggood.com/DC-3_5-12V-To-DC-1_2-24V-DC-DC-USB-Step-UP-Down-Power-Supply-Module-Adjustable-Boost-Buck-Convert-p-1401035.html

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:07:57 AM by Wolla »
Main/PC: FLAC > Zotac ZBox Nano Windows 10 PC > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 monos > Piega Premium 5
Cables: Zu Audio - Mission,
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, DIY OB Boombox

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
BWS, I ordered a few of these yesterday. They probably won’t get here during this round of loadshedding, but at least I should be ok for ‘next time’.

I’m ok for my network, since all my network kit is 5V devices. However, the landline has a Siemens Sender unit which requires 6.5V DC 600mA, hence this purchase. Although I have a few UPS units throughout the house, this particular phone point is not close to one so I think a little step-up buck unit should work fine on a powerbank.

That said, our Telkom exchange goes off-line as soon as loadshedding kicks in and does not come on by itself after power is restored. I have reported it several times and hopefully someone will listen and finally sort it out. Its a big pain as the technician normally sorts it out just before the next loadshedding turn and then its down again - and so it goes, with very little uptime. Just by the by, looks like most, if not all, Yealink DECT phone systems works off a very handy 5V, so I will probably buy one of there phone systems next time round.

Here is the link to the units that I ordered - they are pretty cheap and for some reason it would only let me select a max of 4 units to order:
https://m.banggood.com/DC-3_5-12V-To-DC-1_2-24V-DC-DC-USB-Step-UP-Down-Power-Supply-Module-Adjustable-Boost-Buck-Convert-p-1401035.html

Thanks Wolla, that's just what I'm looking for. You're full of solutions :ROFLMAO:  The Powerbank idea is yours as well

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
@Wolla , will you be using all that you're bringing in? If not I'll buy one from you if you're willing

Offline Wolla

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
@Wolla , will you be using all that you're bringing in? If not I'll buy one from you if you're willing

I may have one spare yes. Will let you know as soon as the arrive.
Main/PC: FLAC > Zotac ZBox Nano Windows 10 PC > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 monos > Piega Premium 5

Offline Wolla

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »

Thanks Wolla, that's just what I'm looking for. You're full of solutions :ROFLMAO:  The Powerbank idea is yours as well

Haha, yes if one is poor you have to think up cheap and practical solutions. I believe that every device that requires DC below 12V, should rather comply to the 5V standard - it just simplifies everything soooo much.

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
See if it will run off a 9v rechargeable battery.
Commercial Property Broker- Upper Highway KZN

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »
See if it will run off a 9v rechargeable battery.

I suspect it will, I'm going to step up to 10 from a Powerbank.

Offline Wolla

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:43:53 PM »

I suspect it will, I'm going to step up to 10 from a Powerbank.

You have email Mr @BWS

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 07:34:45 AM »

Offline Wolla

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »
This works very well. I am using a Romoss 16,000 mAh 5V powerbank and its now powering both my cordless phone as well as wifi router during Eskom load shedding. This has now freed up a small trolley UPS/Inverter which I can now use to run all my lighting needs during load shedding.

This little adjustable buck Voltage converter made it all work out, as my cordless phone base station requires 6 Volts DC and not 5V DC.

Pics below: