Author Topic: THAT shop in Raheema Moosa Street  (Read 1580 times)

Offline pwatts

Re: THAT shop in Raheema Moosa Street
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »
What's Kota?

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »
Driving there every day feels like I'm riding into Nigeria. Prostitutes and druggies line the streets!

You're living in Nigeria, you just don't know it yet.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+128)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:19 PM »
Cape Town's infamous street is Gympie Street in Woodstock.  Walk down there at your peril
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »
Jhb CBD is a dump. I work there often and we have our own security with us and the SAP to lock off areas. ( I'm in the film industry ).
The only reasonably clean part is the south west side near Newtown.
Don't EVER leave town via Sauer St. The last 3 blocks before the Queen Elizabeth bridge are complete mayhem day and night.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Michon

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 12:11:37 AM »
Melville is not particularly safe at night. There are scum that visit the area when the sun sets: drug addicts, rapists, murderers, obnoxious opportunist "car guards", amateur illegal street racers, etc.

A man had his heart removed from his chest (he was alive at the start of the operation) by a Nigerian kingpin type character in 7th street. Cellphones are frequently stolen. There are other heartbreaking stories too that I will refrain from sharing here.

An imbecile whose unmitigated malice is second only to his ignorance on all matters can drive a blade through one's larynx anytime, anywhere, but it, and acts of the like, happen more frequently in some places. I see Johannesburg CBD as a disgusting embarrassment. Litter everywhere, a myriad of illegal immigrants, dilapidated buildings (which were once beautiful), morons with weapons, etc.

Some people have adventures in CBD, but personally I even stay away from Maboneng, Braamfontein and the other "hip" parts of CBD. I don't buy into the hype and mutual delusional narrative that requires one to act as if it is a safe and civilised city. It is a performative lie that I will not partake in. I refuse to speak well of a place that is filled to the brim with people that would commit unspeakable acts against my mother, female cousins, female friends, daughter, etc. if they were to visit the "vibrant" African city on their own.

As for the pipe dream far lefties and wannabe commies with their trite Che shirts. I avoid them as they avoid actually reading communist literature. Don't even mention the Young Hegelians to them. They'll mistake the phrase for the name of a Starbucks drink. They are the type of people that would try to convince a former prisoner of a Gulag labor camp that we need communism. Not even Slavoj Žižek espouses communist revolution and he is the most interesting thinker they have.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:19:46 AM by Michon »
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breëband oorvormers.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...

Offline legro

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
Michon

Žižek perhaps, but boy oh boy, nowadays everyone and their grandmother seems to have read Frantz Fanon. ;D

Offline optimus

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 07:04:05 AM »
Melville is not particularly safe at night. There are scum that visit the area when the sun sets: drug addicts, rapists, murderers, obnoxious opportunist "car guards", amateur illegal street racers, etc.

A man had his heart removed from his chest (he was alive at the start of the operation) by a Nigerian kingpin type character in 7th street. Cellphones are frequently stolen. There are other heartbreaking stories too that I will refrain from sharing here.

An imbecile whose unmitigated malice is second only to his ignorance on all matters can drive a blade through one's larynx anytime, anywhere, but it, and acts of the like, happen more frequently in some places. I see Johannesburg CBD as a disgusting embarrassment. Litter everywhere, a myriad of illegal immigrants, dilapidated buildings (which were once beautiful), morons with weapons, etc.

Some people have adventures in CBD, but personally I even stay away from Maboneng, Braamfontein and the other "hip" parts of CBD. I don't buy into the hype and mutual delusional narrative that requires one to act as if it is a safe and civilised city. It is a performative lie that I will not partake in. I refuse to speak well of a place that is filled to the brim with people that would commit unspeakable acts against my mother, female cousins, female friends, daughter, etc. if they were to visit the "vibrant" African city on their own.

As for the pipe dream far lefties and wannabe commies with their trite Che shirts. I avoid them as they avoid actually reading communist literature. Don't even mention the Young Hegelians to them. They'll mistake the phrase for the name of a Starbucks drink. They are the type of people that would try to convince a former prisoner of a Gulag labor camp that we need communism. Not even Slavoj Žižek espouses communist revolution and he is the most interesting thinker they have.

:faint: wtf ?

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 07:13:56 AM »
Clearly you don't read the news and are out of touch with reality.

The CBD is an absolute hole. Some news stories to get you up to speed:

https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfrica/News/watch-violent-mugging-outside-johannesburg-high-court-caught-on-cctv-20180808

https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfrica/News/watch-viral-footage-of-brazen-robbery-in-johannesburg-shows-2-security-officers-killed-20190212

https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/opinion-analysis/editorsnote-crime-in-the-joburg-cbd-is-sickening-17793491

http://www.702.co.za/articles/315186/jhb-cbd-muggings-where-are-the-police

https://northeasterntribune.co.za/221917/three-held-for-rape/

Also I've worked in the area for a number of years and been mugged.

Driving there every day feels like I'm riding into Nigeria. Prostitutes and druggies line the streets!

Clearly you enjoy being a negative nigel.

I take it you've never been to Lagos or Abuja either?

I could dig up similar stats for Midrand. The incidence of crime will always be higher where the population density is higher. I did not say the CBD was safe. I said be aware, keep your wits about you & you will be OK. I am in the CBD on foot at least once a week, and have never experienced a single issue.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline bearenzo

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
Now and again they list inter sting kit on Gumtree. Does anyone have experience buying from them?

See their flooding ads all the time,  my instinct is to stay away from it.  :stop:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »

It's always been like that in any country that never had to deal with communism.  There's always the Communist/Marxist/Leninist student society (delete as appropriate).  To quote Ricky Gervais:

"And I even had that poster of Che Guevara on my wall at home, to annoy my mum. It backfired. She thought it was Robert Lindsay. And then when I got to college, there were people better at that than me. Know what I mean, there were people that really meant it. And I was thinking, “Oh God, was I like that?” I’ll give you an example. I did Philosophy. And after a few weeks, you had to choose your options for the three years. Compulsory subjects were Logic and Greek Philosophy, and you had to choose about six others. And I chose Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Mind, Morality. And there was a Marxism option. And I thought, that’d be great, I’ve always been interested in that. And it was only a small department, about 25 people. The tutors were all out and you had to queue up and take the thing you wanted. And I looked over at the queue for Marxism… And there were ten people in this queue. Three of them were wearing berets. And I thought, God, I can’t spend three years in a room with what I used to call at the time “c@nts.”"

As for Fanon, that seems to be the latest student reading list if you wear a beret and would dream of a Beretta.  All copies missing from the Uni library, whilst there are multiple copies of anything by Sartre, Camus, and Lacan amongst others that were definitely influences on his writing and add important context.  These haven't been taken out in years (I know as I still have a copy of Nausea that I took out five years ago for the first time in ten years and which they haven't been chasing me for!)
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Katji

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 03:05:17 AM »
Just thinking about it...that hardly existed here. Of course there were no such student societies. :) ...There were one or two lecturers, who were supposed to be communist...including one who has since been a cabinet minister and so on.  But the actual real ones [sic] :) the SACP ones, were overseas or in prison. Variously in London, Moscow, Maputo...
...Some of them...seem to have accepted, and realised, since 1994 and so on, that the best option now is to cooperate with international finance capitalism and so on. ...I think it was part of what was communicated to them from USA and UK...and some years before that, to the government, so that they eventually realised they had to talk to the ANC.