Advice Sought - Possible Re-cap of mid 70s Kenwood Integrated Amp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Dear wise ones.

I've been using a mid 70s Kenwood KA 8006 for a few years now and love it. I've resisted the temptation to re-cap until now ..if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. However, of late, the right channel tends to cut out and then springs back to life when I crank the volume up very high for a fraction of a second and will then work fine for a few hours or even days. I'm guessing she needs an overhaul after nearly 45 years (everything is stock standard, no previous repairs done).

I'm fortunate in that someone has already done a full Re-cap of this same model amp and provided a detailed list of the electronic components required https://www.iamthejeff.com/post/21/kenwood-ka-8006-amplifier
I've done some soldering in my time but I'm by no means an electronics expert.
My questions are as follows
1. Should I tackle this myself or should I hand this over to an expert who has already been through the 'learning curve'
2. Should a complete recap be done or should one be systematic starting at the power supply, moving onto the audio path and then moving onto various resistors, stopping when the issue is resolved?

Your views appreciated

Darryl