Author Topic: Emigration: who has done so?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Marakasmalan

Emigration: who has done so?
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »
I have been self employed for the lat two years, not an easy ride. I focused on subcontracting in the DRC, but the political situation there send the DRC Franc into a downwards spiral.

However, somehow I got a contract in Germany, too big to focus on anything else. This will last at least 5 years, by which time it will make sense to stay on until the kids are done with school / university etc.

I am now looking at the prices to ship a 6m container with my earthly possessions to Germany, but the quotes so far has been absurd. More than double the cost of sending any goods for  commercial  purposes. So it does not make any sense.

Can anybody provide advice in this regard?

thanks

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Emigration: who has done so?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »
You get smoked, especially when you insure the stuff.  Compare the cost of replacement in German with cost of shipping plus insurance and then make a decision.  Taking all your worldly possessions across is a pain in the ass - costs plenty and you need to be able to accommodate it in a rental that'll likely be smaller than what you're living in in SA.  Do the math, take the stuff that's sentimental and flog the rest.  I bought a place that is considered big by UK standards and the so-called double garage is packed full with boxes we've not unpacked ... adding 150sqm in due course, at which point the living areas etc. will approximate what we had in SA, but the existing bedrooms and bathrooms not.

I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Atjan

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »
You can save a bundle on the insurance by cutting out the middle. On a 40ft container to Sydney we paid about R4k insurance, R110k all in.

We took the whole lot with us. In hindsight, we probably would have again. Replacing like for like we might have furnished 2 rooms for what it cost to ship. There was enough on our plate when we left to have worried about trying to gumtree everything as well.

You have to consider general size of properties where you plan to live compared to what you have now though. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's only hifi people....

Offline Marakasmalan

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:06:45 PM »
The house I am living in was build as a school, with two classrooms and two teacher apartments on top. Apparently in 1838 teachers demanded more than a bachelors flat. Space is not my concern, neither is room size. The math adds up. but the shipping price seems really horrific. Also I have some things like the piano my dad restored for the kids and some furniture I mad myself. However, a 20ft container will be enough for me. The rates are however double what we used to pay at the companies I worked for to import / export containers!

Just the white appliances, hifi, kitchen stuff and workshop tools already makes it worthwhile to ship, even at those prices. As for the rest, the orphanage already made several collections as we are reducing clutter. Who did you use for the shipping?

Offline Katji

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
> "Just the white appliances, hifi, kitchen stuff and workshop tools already makes it worthwhile to ship, even at those prices. "

Good to know.  Tools and so on are all I'm concerned about.
Only problem is that some countries are known for troublesome import/Customs re personal goods.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
Only problem is that some countries are known for troublesome import/Customs re personal goods.

You usually have a year or so to bring your stuff in duty free.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »
We used Brittania.  Cheapest I recall and also most customer focused.  Had quotes from the usual  Pickfords et. al...they're not hungry for your business and it reflects in their customer focus as well as pricing.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:24:36 AM »
We emigrated recently, left everything behind in SA apart from a few personal items and started from scratch. We do still have our house back home which we are renting out using AirBNB so leaving it furnished made sense.

Offline Hazazel

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 07:29:08 AM »
Not yet but planning on emigrating to Ireland in the next couple years. My wife has been working for an Irish company now for the last 4 years.

I want a better life for my son and he will never get that in SA the way things are moving, or should I rather say been run into the ground

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
There are a couple of things to consider, like where in Germany will you be located? If you're in the city, your South African furniture will probably not be practical, in fact you might not even be able to physically get it into the apartment. Of course if you're going to be out in the suburbs that's a different matter.

My wife's company provided a container for us when we moved to Denmark and we brought so much rubbish with us, items we thought were nice, but once you live over here for a while you realise just doesn't suit the way of living or the style. If you are going to get a container, prioritise the must have items, the things that would cost too much to just simply replace, like your bed. Beware of items like dishwashers, chances are they might not fit in the provided spaces or even be capable of connecting to the provided facilities.

In our first year we ended up replacing much of what we brought with us from S.A., much of it we just threw away because people weren't interested in things like bulky leather couches.

Offline VinylHead

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:41:46 AM »
So many good comments, but goes from sell it all up to take it all.

When we moved we sized up the types of accommodation we could afford, and given our circumstances, company was paying, we simply took it all, too many things up in the air to worry about down sizing. Even so we gave away a lot..

Moving to Canada, everyone gave us the can't use your stuff on 120 volts so ditch it. We mostly did, but I brought the better of my powetools and I'm glad I did.  Most houses have a 240 volt option (tumble dryers and ovens use it) and so I regret ditching many of my lesser value tools.
Of course my valve audio gear was kindly reset for local voltage and 60 hz, and sounds as good as ever...

Used furniture, appliances, electronics have a negative value in the first world. If you're lucky you can give them away but often you end up paying to get rid of them. Charity shops take only so much.....

Of course if you need to start again, IKEA has you covered. Cheap and cheerful furniture, bedding, kitchen ware. Excellent value and reasonable (1st world prices.). 

Offline reactor_sa

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
Sent a 20ft container from Joburg to Melbourne, cost was about R80k for the packing, shipping, unpacking. Added another R40k for comprehensive insurance on R1m worth.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 05:53:04 PM »
At this rate I wonder how many forum members have left over the last decade or so.

Offline Marakasmalan

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 03:13:11 AM »
Mine was not a specific decision to emigrate and technically I am not emigrating (yet). But I am employed for five years on a project that we will never see the likes of in SA. Not going to commute the whole time I'm working here.

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
At this rate I wonder how many forum members have left over the last decade or so.

I'm really struggling with the decision - we had a daughter last year, and I'm not sure of her potential future in this country, and I worry for her safety growing up.

A friend who emigrated last year said it's a completely different lifestyle, and downscale to what we have here, but they'd rather leave now - than seeing their children leave later. (and these are people who earned well into the seven figures pa in SA)

If it wasn't for what I currently have here now - it would be an easy decision for me. (and I'm not just talking about worldly possessions)