Author Topic: Micromeet Pretoria - 9 February 2019  (Read 395 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Micromeet Pretoria - 9 February 2019
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »
I unexpectedly had the house to myself last night and tried to arrange a mini meet ... which turned out to be a micromeet.  Only Ron and Adriaan could join as Thomas and Herco got held up at work.  Below some pics of a most enjoyable couple of hours.

The table is set ...

My idea of a stack!  A single computer drives HD800, K1000 and SR-207 with three different amplifiers.  The uDSD is used as USB bridge and can output SPDIF and analog out at he same time.  The digital signal is fed to the Wadia 121 which can output single ended and balanced at the same time.  If I really wanted to I could have added two more amps by daisy chaining the outputs from the Phonitor and Stax amps.

Ron and Adriaan enjoyding some tunes.

Generations collide as the AR M2 DAP drives a 30-year old pair of HD540 Reference Golds to perfection.

Lots of bottles on the table, some taste good, some make tasty tunes.  This setup is an early GerDAC with the Hobo (Hobkirk/Bowman) monster amp.  With the pre-fazor LCD2's it created a rich and inviting musical tapestry.

Some nice toys here!

Who looks dorkiest? Ron with K1000 or Adriaan with Stax?

I'm not into ear jewelry but these Campfire Audio Adromeda's are astounding!  Driven by the AR M2 it sounds like a tippy top desktop rig. I want this!

Parting shot ... Rolin's words ... "with the valves and PCs, and guys with hardcore headphones... seems like a scene from a SteamPunk SciFi, trying to make contact with the other side"
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline AdrianDeLau

Re: Micromeet Pretoria - 9 February 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:31:48 PM »
Again, what a fantastic evening!

It is a privilege to have so much high end headfi in one place and an even greater pleasure to enjoy it.

Thanks Francios for your ever welcoming hospitality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
Very lekker Francois!

In Cape Town I'd have to send out invitations a week beforehand, and everyone would arrive late anyway.
Not big on spontaneity down here... :facepalm:
Some great kit on display, those Corona valves are meant to be crisp and refreshing.

And that Phonitor...I will have one. :drool:
PS: the Stax look positively svelte on Ron's monumental dome!  :ROFLMAO:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:36:52 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline ron g

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »

thanks francois - was a great evening.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline naughty

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
looks like you guys had a great time  :thumbs:

Offline Michon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »
Lekker. Thank you for the photos.

I'm sorry to have missed this one. I've been wanting to experience the HoBo, and the K1000 in particular. A comparison between our HD800 headphones would have been interesting too.

Offline ron g

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »

PS: the Stax look positively svelte on Ron's monumental dome!  :ROFLMAO:

the quest for the holy grail had nothing on my search for a crash helmet to fit my monumental dome... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:40:35 AM »
the quest for the holy grail had nothing on my search for a crash helmet to fit my monumental dome... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Well I'm relieved you took my post in the spirit in which it was intended.  :dop:
That said, I can now see why you prefer IEMs... :winkwink:

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
Looks like a fun night was had with lots of nice toys to sample..  My Phonitor is now driving my ATC bookshelves - had to move out of the lounge for the ceiling to be replaced and room to be repainted following water damage.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.