Best DAC upgrade choice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurE

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been a long time member and read a lot although I don't post often... so I wish to ask some help/advice from the vast amount of knowledge on the forum.
I currently feel that the next step( in the never ending quest...  :)) to improve my stereo system is a better DAC.
Let me briefly explain my current setup listening situation so you can get an idea of what would be worthwile/cost appropriate upgrades.

I mostly listen to AAC files through apple music on my phone (convenience) streamed through an apple tv (think it's a version 2) via Yamaha RX-V 1067 AVR in pure direct mode (think the AVR's DAC's is being used) through RCA's to Classe CA 2100 power amp powering KEF R700's.

Tried the same system with my brother's Primare i 32 with onboard multimedia card so everything is streamed, processed and amped in house so to speak and it sounded much better in the treble detail and instruments although the bass control with both setups are excellent (to my ears at least).
Even when we used my power amp through the primare's pre amp out it sounded much closer/similar.
This leads me to the (hopefully correct) conclusion that the DAC in the Primare is much better than the AVR and hence would be the next appropriate upgrade.

So to get to my actual question,
Please recommend a DAC or DAC/pre amp that would be an obvious/ big improvement on my AVR's DAC's that would support streaming, preferably airplay, recommendation can be new or used as there is often much better value.
I have no idea what price range i'm looking at but thinking of a max budget of R10k to R15k?

Apologies for the long winded question.

Latest posts