Author Topic: Wireless configuration advice  (Read 388 times)

Offline xrapidx

Wireless configuration advice
« on: February 05, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
I know this speaker gets a bad wrap - but it didn't cost much - so hopefully want to take my 5.1 to 7.1 system.

My current 5.1 setup is RTiA9s, CSiA6, FXiA6 - connected to an Onkyo TX-NR807 (actually replacing this shortly, waiting for 4k goodness). The speaker levels on the receiver have all been set to about -5dB by Audessey.

When hooking up the Polk Audio FX Wireless - I've done so connecting the PRE OUTS on the AV Receivers SURR BACK to the Surround Backs on the the FX Wireless transmitter.

All is working fine, however, I find to match the speaker level of the Surround channels (-5dB on receiver) - I need to set the FX Wireless to +5dB on the receiver - does that sound correct, without the possibility of causing damage? I'm assuming it's as the speaker is Active, and not amplified by the receiver.

Offline xrapidx

Re: Wireless configuration advice
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
Arrghh - didn't proof read.  Speaker in question is a Polk Audio FX Wireless Surround speaker

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:11:27 AM »
Nobody?  :o

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
That is fine. If the mentioned actives have a gain setting, then I would up it and lower the AVR dB gain, but in this scenario there isnít risk of damage, and the numbers are logical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »
Thanks - nothing on the active surround speaker except a setting for floor, table or shelf.

I didn't think it would cause damage to the active speaker, as its basically a separate amp and would require it's own gain settings to match the Onkyo - but nice to confirm.

Hopefully have time to test it in my environment over the weekend.

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »
Why not  run  audyssey after putting the speakers  and it will adjust the avr volume rather than you fiddling with gain setting on the speakers .
Same with  what you do with the subwoofer  setting
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
I might try and see what it does, although the manual specifically advises against it - it states that the back surrounds should be set the same as the surrounds, but that won't work in this case.

Offline juventino

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
did you get it up and running?

I might try and see what it does, although the manual specifically advises against it - it states that the back surrounds should be set the same as the surrounds, but that won't work in this case.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline xrapidx

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »
did you get it up and running?

Believe it or not - No.  :wallbreak: The joy of a infant in the house. Pretty sure the speaker works fine - just got to sort out the configuration - and actually find time to watch a movie

Offline juventino

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
Believe it or not - No.  :wallbreak: The joy of a infant in the house. Pretty sure the speaker works fine - just got to sort out the configuration - and actually find time to watch a movie

I feel your lack of time, thats why moved it on. Could not have one more box lying around waiting to get used when the time comes around.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure