Amp Camp Amp build log! (Nelson Pass Amplifier)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meshsmith

AVForums Member
Reaction score
(Going to be posting this on diyAudio as well, but thought it would be nice to see one of these on SA forums. Here goes!)

I finally have my hands on a teeny tiny slice of Nelson Pass designed amplifier. As it turns out, only the chassis for the Amp Camp Amp arrives by DHL... the rest of it is sent via snail-mail. The kit finally wormed its way through the post office 3 months after the chassis arrived. Sigh.

For those who don't know, the Amp Camp Amp is a Class A, 8Wpc stereo (or 15W mono) power amp designed by the man himself. Woefully inefficient, beautifully simple, clean as a whistle and a flat flat flat frequency response across the spectrum.

I5tplVO.jpg

The complete kit comes with a monster chassis from Modushop in Italy, consisting of a whole lot of heatsink and not much else. You get some fairly high quality through-hole components, some hookup wire in various gauges and colours, some isolation pads and a fairly beefy 24V/5A power brick.

uVduD1y.jpg

The v1.6 board ready for stuffing.

HJa1xLw.jpg

I always keep a stock of "multiples of 10" resistors from Vishay/Dale, namely the CMF55 series. I utterly love these things - 0.1% tolerance, 500mW rated in a regular 250mW package. I swapped those in for the 100R, 1K and 10K resistors that were included.

zo9c7vQ.jpg

The best part of the CMF55 resistors is that the value and tolerance are printed on the body... I never did get around to memorising resistor colour bands :p

LznAPpV.jpg

Kept some clearance of the power resistors from the board. I have a pile of coffee stirrer sticks I use to clear gaps under hot components like this.

QIhxsHQ.jpg

On to the caps. For the smaller values, we gets some lovely 10uF Elna Silmic caps and what appears to be a Panasonic 1000uF. Unfortunately one of the 3300uF Cornell caps included had ruptured and was leaking gunk everywhere...

qHjWS2f.jpg

...so I replaced them with what I had on hand, namely 4700uF Nichicons. A little taller than the supplied caps, but shouldn't give any problems.

vq0syKE.jpg

Both amps completed, ready for mounting to the transistors and heatsinks.

JDDNxmg.jpg

H7KneMI.jpg

I ordered my first batch of Keratherm from diyAudio before getting my ACA, so I know what a pleasure this stuff is to use. Delighted to see you get a couple of pre-cut wafers to use instead of thermal schmoo and pathetic micas.

sImFXfM.jpg

Mounted and ready to go! Next I'll tackle the chassis wiring.

Stay tuned!

Links:
https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit
https://www.diyaudio.com/media/pdf/amp-camp-amp-number-one.pdf