Author Topic: Headphone advice: Entry vs high-end - what should I keep and what should I sell?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Ninja_Theory

I'm using Sonarworks Reference 4 with a 75% wet adjustment on my HD650. Sounds amazing. Not sure how you guys regard Sonarworks Reference as an EQ correction tool?
HD650 || Audio GD R-2R 11 DAC/amp

Offline capetownwatches

I seldom use EQ of any type, but when it is really called for I use SW Ref4.
Generally 50% wet with Linear Phase filter.

I find it to be accurate and easy to use, does the job.

Kingrex HQ1=Audio-gd NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990Pro=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50

Offline Ninja_Theory

I seldom use EQ of any type, but when it is really called for I use SW Ref4.
Generally 50% wet with Linear Phase filter.

I find it to be accurate and easy to use, does the job.
Thanks. Cut it back to 50% and it sounds great.

Offline capetownwatches

Experiment with different settings as a way of getting familiar with the software.

Remember also that if you've selected "avoid clipping" (you should) and reduce wetness, the gain slider doesn't adjust accordingly.
You need to increase it manually.

I find the gain reduction useful in that it allows a wider range on the volume pot.
This in turn allows your amp to flex it's muscles past 12, which well designed amps enjoy.

Trust you're enjoying the hole thus far.

Kingrex HQ1=Audio-gd NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero

Offline Steerpike

Bear in mind that these are opinions expressed based on each person's particular biological function,

Mother? Father? What other biological functions might we have ?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
I find the gain reduction useful in that it allows a wider range on the volume pot.
This in turn allows your amp to flex it's muscles past 12, which well designed amps enjoy.

Could you elaborate? I only see an advantage for the tracking / matching of the potentiometer channels. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline capetownwatches

Could you elaborate? I only see an advantage for the tracking / matching of the potentiometer channels.

Indeed, those are the most apparent advantages, however, the optimal operating position of a gain pot is at 3/4 of it's range.
This provides the best signal to noise ratio and is indicative of properly matched signal levels.

With my headphone amps this often requires some trimming of gain before amp stage.

The "modern" way is to produce almost all an amp's gain before 12.
This may impress (look, volume only at 9 and it's LOUD!!), but it's not technically correct.

To my ears, my amps do sound their best when I can adjust the pot between 12 and 3.
As always, YMMV.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:55:50 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline capetownwatches

As an aside, my Resonessence Concero DAC has an output level of 'only' 1.2Vrms.
When using it with my Kingrex amp it allows this very dynamic unit to utilise far more of it's gain range.

And it sounds all the better for it.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:12:43 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
The muscle part confused me as the actual amplification parameter (muscle?) doesnít change on most amps.  Itís just the input thatís attenuated by the volume control. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Ninja_Theory

I bought the Audio GD R-2R today - on good advice from some guys here. It's transformed my 650 experience. I consider it to be one of my greatest purchases since I peeked down this rabbit hole (fairly recently).