Author Topic: Headphone advice: Entry vs high-end - what should I keep and what should I sell?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Ninja_Theory

I will be moving into higher end headphone territory this year, starting with the 6xx and then the 800S (I know the 6xx is not higher end, but theyíre highly rated and I really want them), so I have some questions please.

I currently have a Fidelio X2, DT770 Pro and 990 Pro, and an AKG 553 Pro (but this is up for sale atm). As mentioned above, I would like to pick up a HD6xx in the coming few months as well, followed by a 800S.

My current use case:

1. Home usage for music: X2 and DT770 Pro
2. Gaming: DT990 Pro (excellent gaming cans)

So my question is this: when I buy the 6xx, which of my current cans should I sell? Then, when I buy the 800S, which of the remaining cans should I sell?

Reason for my questions is that I want to part fund the 6xx and 800S through the sale of my current cans (the ones I wonít need anymore) and I donít want to collect cans that I wonít use.

HD650/800S || DX7S || Little Dot III || Loxjie P20 || Incoming: Massdrop 789

Online Michon

Some people like to have a collection of headphones and would thus advise you to keep the Fidelio X2, AKG 553 Pro, DT770 Pro and the DT990 and add the HD6XX and HD800 when you have the means to do so. Others may keep one or two from the aforementioned and sell the others.

My advice is to sell all four of them, add some money if necessary and buy one of the second hand pairs of HD800 headphones in the classifieds section, which usually sell for around R8k. Once you own the HD800 you can add other lower cost headphones if you feel the need to do so.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
HD600 then HD800 is a natural progression.  However for diversity in your collection it may be better to get HD650 / HD 6XX, then HD800.  I wouldn't bother with the 800S - carefully EQ'd the 800 does everything the 800S does (and couple of things better) at a much lower price.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Ninja_Theory

Ok thanks guys. I was travelling today and had some space to think about this.

I'm going to sell my DT770 Pro and buy either a 6xx or a 650. I'll pick up the 800/800s later in the year. I don't want to rush it. I know there's a decent 650 for sale atm but I can buy a new 6xx for a few hundred cheaper - so that's looking like a better option (possibly).

Offline Ninja_Theory

I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a 6xx/650. Before I do, is there any reason to buy the one over the other? From what I've read they both use the same driver but there are some minor cosmetic differences.

My decision has come down to the following: Buy a new 6xx or buy a decent second hand 650. Pricing will be similar. I cna bring in a new 6xx from Massdrop, landed for around R3500 with the current exchange rate (give or take a few hundred bucks).

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
The 600 imo is more neutral yet relaxed sounding.  Like a quad ESL63 speaker.
The 650 is punchier and fruitier sounding.
The 800 super revealing. Super neutral.  Almost a little cold. 

Keep those characters in mind if you intend keeping 600 or 650 with 800.

For what itís worth I have kept 600.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Ninja_Theory

The 600 imo is more neutral yet relaxed sounding.  Like a quad ESL63 speaker.
The 650 is punchier and fruitier sounding.
The 800 super revealing. Super neutral.  Almost a little cold. 

Keep those characters in mind if you intend keeping 600 or 650 with 800.

For what itís worth I have kept 600.
I'm concerned the 600 will lack a bit of bass compared to the 650. I haven't heard either set yet. So going on research only at this stage. I'm not a bass head but I do like the bass to be well represented - and not lacking.

Edit: I listen to a lot of deep house and a fair amount of techno, also a lot of the usual... rock and it's sub-genres, pop, acoustic, some jazz (not much), no classical (yet).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:28:22 AM by Ninja_Theory »

Online Michon

I agree with Hi-Phibian's characterisations. Though cold I decided to keep the HD800. I will try them with valve amps.

I prefer the HD600 over the HD650. I found the HD650 too thick in the low mids and dark in the high mids.

Quite a few metal albums that I like I thought sounded better on the HD600, though I preferred the HD800 on most other program material. I owned HD800 and HD600 at the same time so I could make quick comparisons.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Offline Ninja_Theory

I've decided upon the 650. I know myself well enough to accept the inevitable fact that I'll end up with the 600ís at some point in the (probably not too distant) future... if for no other reason, than to satisfy my curiosity.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
I agree with Hi-Phibian's characterisations. Though cold I decided to keep the HD800. I will try them with valve amps.

I prefer the HD600 over the HD650. I found the HD650 too thick in the low mids and dark in the high mids.

Quite a few metal albums that I like I thought sounded better on the HD600, though I preferred the HD800 on most other program material. I owned HD800 and HD600 at the same time so I could make quick comparisons.

I have 600 and 800 but donít think I have space for 650.   I meant as an 800 user on the 600/650 decision I kept 600.

Those of us who hoard probably do one of two things, either keep wildly different cans or have a few that are very close but loved for certain attributes.

Might be a fun thread.  What you have and why they stay. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Ninja_Theory

I land back in SA on Friday evening. My "new" 650 awaits me, thanks to @juventino

It's not often I feel like a kid before Christmas, but this is certainly one of those moments. Will be my first headphone excursion into that land that lies between "audio enthusiast" and "audiophile". My NuPrime uDSD only arrives later this month, so for now I'll have to juice her up with my Asus DLX or my SB E3.

Online capetownwatches

FWIW: I have listened to the HD series extensively and it's the HD600 that has stuck.
I have an older black lining model and it's a unicorn headphone for sure.
I cannot be without it especially for use with my LD MKII - tubes do wonderful things for it.

I found the HD800/S to be uninvolving and too bright.
I found the HD650 to be warm and veiled.
Did not enjoy the HD700 much at all, for various reasons. Mainly it sounds shite.

The HD600 is damn near the perfect headphone in my humble opinion.

Of course, as always, my ears and my gear.
YMMV

Solo Ultra Linear=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=BM DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990 600=K612Pro=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50=Ayra 5=Cables Various

Offline Curlycat

Bear in mind that these are opinions expressed based on each person's particular biological function, which may not necessarily be the same as yours...

Offline Ninja_Theory

Bear in mind that these are opinions expressed based on each person's particular biological function, which may not necessarily be the same as yours...

Sure, agreed. I will buy the 650 (already bought) and the 600 (next) regardless of opinions (although I do feel that the opinions here carry some weight - but opinions none-the-less). I like to test the waters myself. Still not sure if it was a good or bad idea to get active here. I'm already re-appropriating money between rabbit holes (from pc gaming to audio). Thank goodness my gaming pc is exactly where I want it to be (for now).

Offline Ninja_Theory

I finally got to spend time with my 650's this evening. I didn't know what to expect. Well all I can say is wow. I've never heard detail like this. My music has been reinvented. Listened to some Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, John Mellencamp, Queen, Depeche Mode, INXS etc. I don't know the 800's (or the fancier sets you guys have) but for me (for now) this 650 is almost everything I've been looking for. If anything, it's exceeded my expectations. I suppose you'd need to think back to your first audiophile-grade headphone to understand...

I EQ'd the low end a bit, a 2.8db boost at 32hz. I'd like to EQ the treble a bit as well, I'm kinda hearing that "veil", and from what I've researched, a slight EQ tweak on the 650 makes a world of difference if done right. But I don't know which higher frequency (or frequencies) to tweak, and by how much.

Can anyone shed some light?