Author Topic: LF : A pair of Philips Alnico woofer  (Read 490 times)

Offline bearenzo

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
LF : A pair of Philips Alnico woofer
« on: January 31, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
Prefer 8"~12" Philips Alnico woofer
Or 8"~12" full range drivers without the whizzer cone

I'm in Johannesburg

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
Re: LF : A pair of Philips Alnico woofer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:31:47 AM »
Something like 9760/05, 9762/05 will be even better

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »
Good luck with finding these. I am also a very big fan of vintage Philips full range drivers. Very familiar with the AD1255 and the 9710 alnico's :)

I am not familiar with the models you want, but from what I can see on Google they have whizzer cones.
Why do you not want divers with whizzer cones and what do you want to do with them?

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:43:45 AM »
Good luck with finding these. I am also a very big fan of vintage Philips full range drivers. Very familiar with the AD1255 and the 9710 alnico's :)

I am not familiar with the models you want, but from what I can see on Google they have whizzer cones.
Why do you not want divers with whizzer cones and what do you want to do with them?

I'm going to build a multi Philips full range drivers open baffle, but without the crossover.
I'll use at least 2 pairs of 9710/01 ( which have lots of HF), that's why I need something similar to balance the LF. 

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »
That sounds like an awesome build. Are you going to put a tweeter between the two 9710's?

Please start a build thread when you are ready  :groovy:

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »
That sounds like an awesome build. Are you going to put a tweeter between the two 9710's?

Please start a build thread when you are ready  :groovy:

This OB will be paired with a SET valve or low output 45/2A3 PP amp, I won't put any tweeter, low efficiency woofer or crossover.

Offline Bravick

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
Tag @DeonC,

He may have what you need

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+55)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »

This OB will be paired with a SET valve

Lekker. That is what I have at the moment. Philips on SET. Good luck with your search. I am interested to see what works for you as I also want to add woofers at some point.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

This OB will be paired with a SET valve or low output 45/2A3 PP amp, I won't put any tweeter, low efficiency woofer or crossover.

I am really interested in your project.

I am using two Philips 12" AD1255's per side in a large open baffle. I have them in a MTM tweeter setup with a HE woofer. I tri-amp the setup. For my ears, just using the 4 x 12" drivers do not make enough bass. The tweeter definitely helps with the high end in my setup and so does the woofer.

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:02 PM »
Lekker. That is what I have at the moment. Philips on SET. Good luck with your search. I am interested to see what works for you as I also want to add woofers at some point.

@Michon
Have you taken them out of the backless cabby yet and put them on a baffle only? That cabinet (Deep U-Frame) will affect the sound signature the way you have it now.

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
I am really interested in your project.

I am using two Philips 12" AD1255's per side in a large open baffle. I have them in a MTM tweeter setup with a HE woofer. I tri-amp the setup. For my ears, just using the 4 x 12" drivers do not make enough bass. The tweeter definitely helps with the high end in my setup and so does the woofer.

If I couldn't find something else, my plan will be 9710 *2 pairs + 9750 *1 pair + AD1255 *1 pair on a OB.

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:06:25 PM »
Certainly, an interesting concept you have there... why the 9750's though? I am not familiar with the 9750's, but Google search showed much the same as 9710's... They seem very similar to the 9710's, except for being much more scarce.

Do not expect bass from the system. The Philips AD1255 or the AD9710 shines with the midrange, but the low frequency is very lacking and highs roll off early-ish in OB. But as far as realism and presence in the midrange are concerned, they shine wonderfully IMO.

See if you can organize a listen somewhere to affirm your direction. But what does Nike say, "Just do it"!, I would love to hear it!

Offline bearenzo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Certainly, an interesting concept you have there... why the 9750's though? I am not familiar with the 9750's, but Google search showed much the same as 9710's... They seem very similar to the 9710's, except for being much more scarce.

Do not expect bass from the system. The Philips AD1255 or the AD9710 shines with the midrange, but the low frequency is very lacking and highs roll off early-ish in OB. But as far as realism and presence in the midrange are concerned, they shine wonderfully IMO.

See if you can organize a listen somewhere to affirm your direction. But what does Nike say, "Just do it"!, I would love to hear it!

9750 is actually a wide band driver ( roll off from 7 kHz ), I hope it will add a little bit warmth to the system.
I think I will " Just do it" - sure you're welcome to listen to it once it's completed. ( If you're in Gauteng)

Offline DeonC

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »

I have a pair of pro 15" woofers that ought to do nicely in an OB. They should fill in the low-end very well. I can upload their measured specs if you're interested (I measured them both individually with the Dayton DATS system, so the TSPs are not thumb-suck, but actual specs).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:46:49 PM by DeonC »
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline DeonC

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 06:38:08 AM »

I have a pair of pro 15" woofers that ought to do nicely in an OB. They should fill in the low-end very well. I can upload their measured specs if you're interested (I measured them both individually with the Dayton DATS system, so the TSPs are not thumb-suck, but actual specs).

As promised, here are the Dayton DATS screenshots of the measurements of the pro woofers:

As you can see, they are near ideal for OB. Qts is high, but not too high. Fs is is also relatively low.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.