Headphone Queries and Advice for Newbie

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentiSonas

Reaction score
Hey Forumites,

Longtime Lurker, first time poster.

I'm new/inexperienced with the world of upper end quality headphones but am looking to improve my listening experiences as I have headphones on for around 6 hours every day when I'm at the office and then there are times at home to relax in the chair and listen.

So a couple of questions:

I'm going to be using this set mostly for plugging into (or connecting wirelessly) my office laptop and mobile phone for when I'm listening, so I dont have high end sound equipment. How much does this impact the choices of headphones that I may go for? I'm contemplating that maybe if the sound source doesnt match the headphones I may be spending too much on some headphones where I wont get the value from the sound source. Is this the case and how large is the impact?

I have a budget that maxes out at around R4500 - while I know this isnt a lot if there REALLY is value in spending a bit more then please let me know if this is something rather worth saving up for.

My music tastes are suited towards variations of Rock music (experimental, acoustic, alternative etc), Classical, Jazz, Blues, but not into RnB, Rap, Most Pop music or Dance Beats. Would this affect the type of headphones I should be looking to purchase?

I have been casually eyeing the B & W PX, Bose & Sony Wireless NC headphones. Are NC headphones crucial for enhancing your listening experiences (I dont listen in very noisy environments) or overrated?

Around my budget and with the above statements, what would be some of your recommended headphones and tips for someone looking to start trying out and buying a decent set of cans?

Thanks for your time and really appreciate any and all feedback.

Latest posts