Author Topic: Headphone Queries and Advice for Newbie  (Read 296 times)

Offline SilentiSonas

Headphone Queries and Advice for Newbie
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »
Hey Forumites,

Longtime Lurker, first time poster.

I'm new/inexperienced with the world of upper end quality headphones but am looking to improve my listening experiences as I have headphones on for around 6 hours every day when I'm at the office and then there are times at home to relax in the chair and listen.

So a couple of questions:

I'm going to be using this set mostly for plugging into (or connecting wirelessly) my office laptop and mobile phone for when I'm listening, so I dont have high end sound equipment. How much does this impact the choices of headphones that I may go for? I'm contemplating that maybe if the sound source doesnt match the headphones I may be spending too much on some headphones where I wont get the value from the sound source. Is this the case and how large is the impact?

I have a budget that maxes out at around R4500 - while I know this isnt a lot if there REALLY is value in spending a bit more then please let me know if this is something rather worth saving up for.

My music tastes are suited towards variations of Rock music (experimental, acoustic, alternative etc), Classical, Jazz, Blues, but not into RnB, Rap, Most Pop music or Dance Beats. Would this affect the type of headphones I should be looking to purchase?

I have been casually eyeing the B & W PX, Bose & Sony Wireless NC headphones. Are NC headphones crucial for enhancing your listening experiences (I dont listen in very noisy environments) or overrated?

Around my budget and with the above statements, what would be some of your recommended headphones and tips for someone looking to start trying out and buying a decent set of cans?

Thanks for your time and really appreciate any and all feedback.

Online cj

Re: Headphone Queries and Advice for Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
Current headphones?

Reason you looking for something else?

Preferences (plentiful good bass, open sound (treble clarity), detail?)

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:30:34 PM »
Noise cancelling has an adverse affect on sound quality as well as a substantial cost factor and is really unnecessary unless the background noise is high.  Bluetooth also adds to cost and has an effect on quality.

Have a look at Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (32 Ohm version) or Custom One Pro both of which will give great results with excellent noise rejection and are well within your budget.

Offline SilentiSonas

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:40:48 PM »
Current headphones?

Reason you looking for something else?

Preferences (plentiful good bass, open sound (treble clarity), detail?)

Currently at the Office I have my old pair of Sennheiser HD202's and before I had a set of AKG Y50's, both fun budget sets but looking to up the game a little.

Just looking for better sound to have at the office as I'm listening for on & off around 4-5 hours every day. Will also look to bring them home to listen while relaxing and maybe for the odd PS4 session but I have a set of hyper X Clouds for that purpose. I'll probably need to be closed backs as I'm working in and office and cant have everyone listening to my music.

With regards to preferences I would like them to be suited towards the music I mentioned in the Original post, but I'm less focused on bass and more on detail and open sound then? Not an expert though and I guess with better headphones I'll be able to discern more.

Offline SilentiSonas

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
Noise cancelling has an adverse affect on sound quality as well as a substantial cost factor and is really unnecessary unless the background noise is high.  Bluetooth also adds to cost and has an effect on quality.

Have a look at Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (32 Ohm version) or Custom One Pro both of which will give great results with excellent noise rejection and are well within your budget.

Awesome, thanks will take a look at both those sets.  I have been hearing good things for the last few years about the Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones. Anybody got thoughts on those as they are around the same price as the Beyerdynamics?

With either or your suggested headphones will they work fine without any amp and connected to my mobile or laptop as those are mostly what I'm using with spotify?

Also thanks for the advice on the BT and NC, I figured as much :)

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:14:17 AM »
If you are going to use them for gaming as well go with the Custom One as Beyerdynamic do an optional nifty plug in microphone boom which you can plug in when needed and remove when you don't want to look like a chopper pilot around the office.  They will work well off the phone/laptop and additionally have an adjustable bass profile to suit your taste.

AT50s are also highly regarded however they are (in my opinion) bass heavy and not as comfortable but then as I work for the Beyerdynamic importer I am somewhat biased  :).  Your best option is to try and listen to the options before buying.