Author Topic: Readers  (Read 454 times)

Offline legro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Readers
« on: January 30, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »
I recall a " What are you reading at the moment " thread that seems to have quietly passed on.

Anyway, I'm a bibliophile, maybe even more :faint: than an audiophile ( a close call, this one ).

More importantly, I'm running out of space. Buying the books faster than I'm reading them and, well, books do take up space.

Checked for books on Takealot and it's eBooks mostly. A sign?

Questions: Any innovative ways to store books in a limited space? ( my music room has bookshelves floor to ceiling on both sides - crammed ).

- E Readers: goes against my soul but maybe it's time -  any suggestions? Only know about Kindle.

- And availability of " esoteric " titles on eBooks? I read, ahem, " serious " literature and have been known to even dabble in the odd work of philosophy.

Suggestions?

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
Re: Readers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
It depends why you collect books?

Nothing will beat the smell and feel of a real book. If you hail from another era than me, your opinion may differ. e-Books are Meh... just so boring, it's like comparing an LP with music on a hard disk... the interaction of many senses are absent. (... and no... I am not saying vinyl is better than digital now...) Perhaps you can look at "mobile" shelves as you would see in some archives, where the shelves can be moved and stacked against one another to save space.

If you really just like reading books, then I would go for the e-books option. Sigh... times are a changing ...
I like the smell and feel of the real McCoy.

Offline legro

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
^^+ 1000.

Would probably like someone to convince me otherwise... ;D

And no, I certainly do not " collect " books. It's just that my purchasing power is outpacing my reading speed.

And I'm coming to the point where I'm becoming acutely aware of my mortality - will I manage to read them all before  I shuffle off....?

Offline deonk2000

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »
In addition to 2 Kindles, I also have the Kindle app running on my mobile devices and since they're all synced, I can read whenever the gier hits me, normally during work meetings. I agree with the physical aspects of a hard copy, but for sheer convenience, nothing beats an ebook....and lots of value add if you join the Amazon book club and allied programmes.

But I haven't curtailed my visits to Readers Warehouse, Bargain Books, etc.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
A big plus for a Kindle IMO is the ability to load ebooks on it using Calibre e-book management program.  I have acquired over 1400 books this way from my brother in law who is an avid reader

You can pick up used Kindles from about R1500.  The battery lasts me about 2 weeks and I read for at least 90 mins a day.   If the book is not to my liking, I delete it

https://calibre-ebook.com/
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 05:38:31 PM »
^^+ 1000.

And no, I certainly do not " collect " books. It's just that my purchasing power is outpacing my reading speed.

And I'm coming to the point where I'm becoming acutely aware of my mortality - will I manage to read them all before  I shuffle off....?

In that case, an e-reader would be an option to consider. You have plenty in your collection to satisfy the senses of a physical book experience. e-Readers are convenient, but so are books. No batteries needed with books! I always have my cellphone with me, but not a book. So in that department, the cell wins. But when it comes to the physical media, I prefer using and reading a book as appose to looking at my cellphone/tablet screen.

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »
Apple Books has a lot of ‘classics’ for free. I think I got pretty much all the Sherlock Holmes books/collections, some HP Lovecraft, Baudelaire (in French) and various bits and bobs (including John Reed’s “10 days that shook the world” one of my favourites despite the bias).  It’s on every iPad.  The android cheapo tablet I have can also act as an ereader and is much lighter.

I still buy books though.  Currently have a Bowie biography, a few history books and Phillip Pulman’s last one (Book of Dust) on the go.  Found a compilation of all the H2G2 series for R50 in the Adams sale at the end of last year so will re-read four and read the last one (never got around to it) this year I hope.  I have two overflowing bookcases and one I made from a step ladder!
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline legro

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Apple Books has a lot of ‘classics’ for free. I think I got pretty much all the Sherlock Holmes books/collections, some HP Lovecraft, Baudelaire (in French) and various bits and bobs (including John Reed’s “10 days that shook the world” one of my favourites despite the bias).  It’s on every iPad.  The android cheapo tablet I have can also act as an ereader and is much lighter.

I still buy books though.  Currently have a Bowie biography, a few history books and Phillip Pulman’s last one (Book of Dust) on the go.  Found a compilation of all the H2G2 series for R50 in the Adams sale at the end of last year so will re-read four and read the last one (never got around to it) this year I hope. I have two overflowing bookcases and one I made from a step ladder!

Now that's what I'm interested in. ;D

Currently checking out CC's mobile bookshelf suggestion.

Very promising.

Offline merlin3001

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
I've been through reading on iPad, on a Kobo Glo and now have a Kindle Oasis. I love the feel of a real book, but the cost of new books just became prohibitive.   With digital books, you can get real bargains on books that are older and the range is far better than any second-hand or cheap bookstore.  Given the savings on buying books, the actual hardware has paid for itself for me.

And I no longer need to keep finding space and loading up crates with books to store in the ceiling. 

Personally, I much prefer a e-reader over tablet as I find it less tiring on my eyes. I also found Kindle store better than Kobo, but that's also because you can link it in with other things you might do in the Amazon ecosystem (prime etc). It's worth checking out books you like on both bookstores etc before going one way or the other - since you are locked in once you choose (I also tend to think Amazon will be around in 20 years with my library and not as sure that Kobo will still worry about us in South Africa for that long..)

Hardware-wise, the Kindle is much better, but that's not fair on Kobo as the Kobo was a fair amount cheaper.  Just watch out for kindles with 'special offers'.  They are cheaper because they advertise at you. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:09:58 AM by merlin3001 »

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:54 PM »
My spouse & daughter have a book fetish. My daughter owns multiple copies of the some of the books that that she's read as they have different (admittedly striking) covers.....

What I've done:

1. Buy bookshelves (or make as I did) that go floor to ceiling. We gained an extra 2 shelves just doing that.
2. I lined one flight of stairs with shelves. So you do not see it from ground floor to the landing, but from the landing up to the first floor their are bookshelves along the wall.
3. We have a fairly large guest loo. With a high ceiling (3m x 2m x 2,8m high). One side got shelves.
4. I purchased a coffee table that has a lid & solid sides. Coffee table books get kept inside when not being displayed.

Sadly the new owners of our house do not want so much storage, so all the shelving as been taken down & I'll re purpose what I can into the new house. At this stage we have 64 double wall Stock 6 boxes full of books and are still packing.....
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
The kindle paper white is still the best e-reader IMO, it is the closest to real paper you will get and easier on the eyes
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Hazazel

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
I went from books to kindle back to books, I just prefer the feel of a real book in my hands. Call me nostalgic

Offline goonchild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:23 PM »
This may explain why some people reeeeeaaaaally like old books: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-09-21-9609210090-story.html.

Offline Hazazel

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
This may explain why some people reeeeeaaaaally like old books: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-09-21-9609210090-story.html.

That makes for a great read, pardon the pun