Not audio related, but thought just maybe..

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prince

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
8)

Hi guys..

-this is not audio related, but I need a refresher quickly on what can cause a voltage drop in a circuit?

Background:
-I have a saltwater chlorinator control circuit consisting of a LM324N, BT16 600B and HEF4070B IC.

The symptom of the circuit is that when chlorinator is powered up the the meter reading is on full summer setting, as the control "pot" in turned to full, but after about 45 seconds, the meter reading drops to way down to almost zero, with the pot still on full.

What would be the most likely to cause for a 3v voltage drop on the positive rail?
-Would a good place to start be to replace the electrolytic caps, due to age. -the pcb is about 5yrs old, so the components has been exposed to all the elements.
-Would an open resistor cause such behaviour?

What I have done so far:
1. -is to de-solder all the old solder on the pcb and re-solder all the dry joints. The symptom persists.
2. -test and measure all the resistors, transistors and diodes on the pcb. - all seems fine, within tolerance.

-I'll see if I can scan in the pcb layout, when I have time.

:)