Author Topic: Turntable AKAI AP-Q60  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • valveaudio@absamail.co.za
    • Valve Audio
Turntable AKAI AP-Q60
« on: January 23, 2019, 09:46:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

Bought this off the forum some two months ago. Had a niggle or two, but I fixed that good and proper is it should be. The lid has numerous scratches so I did not bother to post a photo of that. I am sure with some loving care and polishing it can be good as new.

What attracted me to this table were some reports I read which were very positive, and after effecting the repairs which included a tweak to the arm and some work to the power supply.... I am mightily impressed by this deck. The tone arm tracks 101% with my van den Hul Colibri. The motor speed is rock stable and with / without quartz lock, there is NO discernable speed variations at all. It speeds up in a second from off. Also has a nifty end of disk arm lift and return function. The snobs say disconnect, I say NO. This is a very good, completely disengaged from the tonearm system until it detects end of disc. Even after return to the arm rest, the return mechanism is disengaged again.  I fitted a pretty nice ADC XLM cartridge which still performs very well given its age (circa 1990 I think...)

Yes, there are scuff marks and a few scratches. I for one think this to be an absolute solid performer. I paid R1500 plus shipping from Durban area to Pretoria. I effected the repairs mentioned and fitted the ADC XLM cartridge as on the photo. I fitted four completely new feet (trade secret  :giggle:)
Yes I can ship wherever at cost of packaging and shipping to buyer. I offer this at R2200 (excluding shipping) as is described above, in excellent plug and play working condition. Gents, this is a good deck capable of wearing your best cartridge with pride. Looks aside, a good buy for making vinyl sing.

Photobucket as well as Photo Image loads the closeup of strobe as sideways...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:30:34 PM by Family_Dog »

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
Re: Turntable AKAI AP-Q80
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:59 AM »
This deserves a bump... a stunning player for the not so brand conscious vinyl lover.

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
And still She sits here, waiting patiently for the right guy to open up to and fill his life with beautiful music  :cleansound: :groovy:

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
A kind forum member has today pointed out to me that I had put this up as the AP-Q80 whilst in fact it is the AP-Q60. My bad and I apologize for the blooper. Next time I'll put on my glasses when reading the model number off the photo I am about to post.

Sooooo, who needs an Akai AP-Q60 ? I need space for other stuff, offers? Shipping extra

Offline Winslow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audiophiles can be so egregiously sesquipedalian.
Re: Turntable AKAI AP-Q60
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 06:39:38 PM »
These Akai decks are real sleepers very under the radar they perform very well indeed.

For the asking price this a a bargain I had the AP-D40 which is almost the same deck minus the quartz lock.

It was a favorite, I had it for many years and would still have it, if it had not got lifted.
I searched high and low for a replacement and all I could find was an AP-D2.
Which is in the same league as my Technics SLQ 200

This Akai AP-Q60 deck will perform as well if not better as any Technics Quartz DD that all seem to sell for 2k plus these days.

If I needed a deck, and was not cash strapped it would be mine.

"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music.
Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."

Allan Parsons

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 06:57:41 AM »
Everybody streaming these days, NO more vinyl spinning dudes around? :thinking:
This really is a good deck for lunch money...

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:19:58 PM »
I guess the younger peeps around here are all going back to armchair track changing and artist selection via remote, spinning CEEDEES again, or worse, streaming  :sulky:
Exercise is needed, getting up and changing LP's is GOOD for you. Streaming begets a new middle aged group of short of breath, tubby old crunchers ...

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »
                                It would appear this is an extinct species :thinking:

I'll remove the cart and embalm it here for future generations to discover at R1800 excluding shipping

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
And gone to the BEST possible home imaginable.
Many thanks  :2thumbs: