Author Topic: New TV Recommendations  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Family_Dog

Re: New TV Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
Des, not yet. We have been having such bad lightning storms on a daily basis I figured I'm not even going to remove it from its packaging until the weather settles. I really cannot stand the trauma of having to submit yet another lightning damages claim to the insurance. This is only the bedroom TV so not a necessary requirement right now.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Sabreme

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 11:22:42 PM »
Surely Surge-protected plugs are good enough to prevent giant surges from Electrical trips, lightening and what not... ?

Offline bavs108

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »
Hi guys. I didnít want to start a new thread, so Iíll put this here.

Do any of you know what the audio quality of the optical output is like on the Q6fn? The reason I ask this is because I have all my hdmi sources connected to my tv and then an optical cable from the tv to my amp (Marantz Pm6005) which only has 1 optical input which utilizes the amps integrated DAC.

When going through the audio settings on the tv I notice that there is only a PCM option on the audio output, no Bitstream. If I understand correctly, this means that the tv is doing all the processing instead on the raw data going directly to my amp?

I have been thinking about adding either a dedicated CD or Blu Ray player to my setup. My intention going the Blu Ray route is to use it as a transport so that the amps internal DAC can do the processing, but Iím thinking this might not be optimal given the above. The BDP would be connect to the tv via HDMI and audio output via optical from my tv to my amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jlaubza

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
Surely Surge-protected plugs are good enough to prevent giant surges from Electrical trips, lightening and what not... ?
This is a very belated reply to the question but the topic is current. The short answer is, no. Surge plugs will help with mains power fluctuations but a lightning strike in the vicinity of your home, even to the ground, will prove that semiconductors make the best fuses. Surge plugs are useless against lightning. Your best protection is to unplug your equipment when there is a threat of lightning.

I worked for Eskom more than 30 years ago and we knew as a fact because it was measured that a typical highveld thunderstorm sends around 5000 strikes to earth. I saw for myself that lightning burned up some very expensive audio video eqipment protected by the best anti lightning measures in the world at that time. Surge protectors are for sissies!