A sad pair of 1949 Jensen AO 20672 Field Coil transducers.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micron

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought this pair of 12" drivers, that come out of a Hammond tone cabinet which would be used with a Hammond organ, from a man in Bloemfontein with the intent of using them in a stereo guitar rig. I could buy a pair of suitable modern 12" Celestion guitar speakers mass produced in China (or for a higher price the UK) or I could buy a pair of field coil drivers made in Chicago, Ill. in the 1940s. I made my choice.

Upon receiving them I noticed that the diaphragms are damaged. The seller apologised and said that he didn't have much experience with drivers and offered to reimburse for the cost of repairs. The repairs necessary are so unconventional that I am not sure how to estimate cost considering that I don't know any professional that would take on this work. If you know someone that would do this repair in Johannesburg please let me know. That aside does anyone have advice or references to tried and tested repair methodologies for torn paper diaphragms?

I am not sure if some of the repairs necessary would be possible or reasonable to execute (without performing a recone, which is not an option, because an original cone is not available and a generic of the right size would not work without significant modification due to an unusual metal strut spider system used as opposed to modern corrugated fabric). Commentary on this is welcomed.

[member=415]GECO[/member], I own a pair of Philips AD12200 that belonged to King_Julian_S that were repaired either by you or by employing a technique suggested by you. That repair is done well and I would be happy if you could share the procedure here.

Driver A:

aRWkoje.jpg

There is a tear along the surround here. The problem with this tear is that patching from the back would be difficult to do due to the basket being located closely behind this part of the surround making it hard (is impossible too strong a word) to get ones fingers or tools into the space to perform the repair.
ruKmCRH.jpg

The surround has loosened from the basket and needs to be reglued.
rRNUFyJ.jpg

This photo is just for interest and does not illustrate any damage.
VRelaM8.jpg

wNcO1WW.jpg

Driver B:

3RAUQsW.jpg

Eina. On the left is hole that needs to be patched. On the right is a textbook example of repairs that make matters worse.
ur8CKrw.jpg

This is an extended tear that has been poorly glued together. The two sides of the tear were pulled toward each other such that they overlap slightly and then glued together. This distorts the shape of the cone. I wonder whether it would be better to try separate the bond, remove the adhesive residue and patch the tear from the back.
sEhWZ46.jpg

yHro4s5.jpg

Perhaps these are too far gone to be worth repairing, unless an amount of time is spent that exceeds the value of the drivers themselves, which of course makes reimbursement from the seller for the cost of repairs unpractical. I paid R1600 for both.